Saturday, December 3, 2011

Madonna Con Gesu Bambino and Icons

This is Esteban Murillo's portrait of the Madonna and Child, located in the Palazzo Pitti, Galleria Palatina, Florence, Italy. Murillo painted this about 1650.


I purchased a small copy of this work on eBay about ten years ago and have been trying to paint a similar portrait from this print for probably just as long.  I finally "finished" this last year, and am displaying it on a table with other Madonna and Child icons in our living area.  This is my rendition:


It obviously pales in comparison to the real work, but it was an enjoyable artistic challenge.  When I look at the face of Mary that I have painted, she looks quite a bit older than fourteen or fifteen, but the gist of her facial expression has a sweet countenance.

Many more of Murillo's paintings can be found here on a slideshow.

This is a picture of two tops of tables displaying my icons of Madonna and Child which I have collected over the past dozen years while traveling.  Each comes from a different country [Spain (Barcelona), Italy (Venice and Florence)  New Zealand (Christchurch), America, and several place in the United Kingdom including one from St. Abbey's Cathedral in London].  One is a beautiful Christmas card that a friend sent one year in the mail.




These icons serve as our holiday "Christmas Tree"

5 comments:

  1. Nancy, your painting is sweet. The Madonna`s face is serene yet joyous.

    Your icon collection is beautiful. I like your display better than a Christmas tree. It`s more in the spirit of the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your rendition and the original. There's something so pure and sweet about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your version of the Madonna and Child. Thanks for sharing it and all the lovely icons. They are just about my favorite form of religious art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace and beauty! Love the paintings! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am particularly fond of any Madonna and Child paintings and you actually have a great rendition of it. It is such a blessing to have an artistic gift and you are using it to inspire people. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!