Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas Confetti Bean Soup in a Jar

What is on your "I Really WANT to Do" list for the holidays?
Really, is there such a thing as a list of Things You Must Do For the Holidays?  Kinda takes the fun out of it.

Besides listening to more seasonal music, I really wanted to make "soup mixes in a jar" for gifts.  It was unbelievable how many sites came up on a Google search for just this topic.

Here is the one site I settled on at this link because it was COLORFUL, EASY, and HAD LABELS.

Needed: 12 wide-mouth pint (2-cup) canning jars with lid and rings 14 pounds assorted dried peas, beans and lentils (at least 8 different varieties):
  •  pink beans 
  •  black beans 
  •  baby lima beans
  •  lentils
  •  red lentils 
  •  black-eyed peas 
  •  red kidney beans 
  •  pinto beans 
  •  split peas 
  •  great northern beans 
  •  small red beans 
  •  white beans 
  • 12 Italian-flavor or beef flavor bouillon cubes 
  • 12 bay leaves
Just put half cup of each bean layered in the jar topped with a bouillon cube and bay leaf and tie on a the printed label.  Like this!

I like soup, and almost any kind of flavor.  How about you?
If you made the soup exactly as directed, it would be pretty bland.  I'm thinking of giving a package of ham hocks along with the jars of beans, reminding the bean recipients that they will also need to add spices for a heartier, tastier version of this bean soup.

(Just had to add the Soup Nazi picture from the Seinfeld days.)

Linking to A Sheltering Tree ... because soup is something that can nourish a body and soul!

13 comments:

  1. The jars look beautiful! This is something you could just have on hand always to give out when someone stops by, or to have ready to prepare when a family has mom or dad away or in the hospital. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a Christmas gift! Would be pretty yummy for a cold night this winter. Thanks for stopping by today and leaving a comment. Like Heathers comment about having on hand for families who have a friend in hospital.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the soup and jars are so pretty. Great work dear Nancy. Have a blessed evening. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea! And very pretty to display on a shelf, until used. I *think* most people know to add ham to bean soup mixes, but I'm a vegetarian, so I add vegetable boullion, which I can't spell, and Liquid Smoke. Liquid Smoke makes everything delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soup is SO pretty! What a nice idea, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you from Sheltering Tree. We did this project at MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) many years ago. It is fun to see it again. I haven't gotten lazy and have used the variety packs of beans. This is much better and makes such a nice gift. Where is this painting on your sideboards? It reminds me of Italy. Read about cheerful giving :
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2012/12/god-loves-a-cheerful-giver.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post! The bean soup will be a welcome gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a list is great for ideas, but sometimes I can be lazy and not like planned plans. Sometimes spur of the moment or a last minute thought makes me more obsessed about an activity. For example, I wasn't feelin' taking a free tour of my old high school. I wanted to take my girls to the public library instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love soup year round. The Confetti Bean Soup is perfect for Christmas gifts. Colors are perfect.

    Lol! I needed that Seinfeld chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love bean soups Nancy! And, they do make pretty packages too! You're right about adding other seasonings and hamhock. Sometimes I add stewed tomatoes to mine.

    I'm behind on blogging. Our grandson has had bronchitis, and, we kept him for a week to help get him better. He's much better now and is back home.

    I LOVE the soup Nazi! Your post is very motivating. Have a great weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds delicious. My husband is soup crazy--makes things easy. It could be gifted with cornbread, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea for a gift! Probably not the right weather here at Christmas for soup though..it is usually very hot as Christmas time. .but great for a birthday gift. And they photograph well too:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!