Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Gardening in June

High country gardening techniques say
...to prolong the blooming period of columbine you need to interrupt this seed producing process by removing the faded flowers and any seed pods that have formed. The plant then sends up more flowers in an effort to make more seeds. Since columbine are perennial and grow back from their rootstock, you'll still have a columbine in the same spot next year... source
It is a shame to pluck these beauties and denude them of flowers.  But I saved some columbines in pictures just in case we don't get another crop of yellow columbines this summer.


The penstemon were in full bloom this week also.  I cut them down, too.  Ruthlessly, in fact.  But they will exhibit again, history reminds me.  They tolerate partial shade, which is what the sun in the back displays.

I have been transplanting daises also.  The above ones that are caged are white and have a short bloom period, but are worth the wait.  Crossing my fingers they will get enough sunlight for blooming.  I lost bluebells to the lack of sun, and had to transplant purple marshmallow to a different location for better growth.
Marshmallow (purple)


Above are cosmos that were started from seed in April in the kitchen window.  The "before" picture is below of both the cosmos and the zinnias.


And zinnia plants now, almost ready for transplanting AGAIN

And lastly, for historical botanical purposes, is the penstemon purchased for the wildflower garden begun in 2012.
Then (2012)
and now (2014):

Even though I have lost several plants over the winter, overall the garden is doing well.  How is YOUR garden growing?

source (Denslow, public domain)

9 comments:

  1. My garden is growing quite well. Yours definitely is blooming lushly, thank you for all the tips of Columbine. I love the Zinnia plant but don't have any right now. My lilies just bloomed yesterday.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing what grows in your neck of the woods, Nancy. You have very green fingers it seems to me. How lovely to have a wildflower patch in the garden. I sort of do too but it's more of a weed encampment really! Happy planting and growing! E x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a green thumb you have. I have Jellybean's marigolds growing on our kitchen window sill and my Trader Joe orchid as well. They are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all the rain we've been having, mine's is like a jungle!! Your garden is so pretty. I love Columbine (we call them Aquilegia here). Happy Gardening. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so pretty! I can use all the tips I can get to keep my flowers blooming longer:) Have a blessed day dear Nancy, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing your garden! I'm going to post pix of mine soon. It's growing well, but slowly (the vegetables, at least), due to a spring/early summer that's been fairly dry and cool. Your flowers are gorgeous!

    frances

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nancy! My garden is growing. My zinnias are little sprouts so I bought a few plants at the garden center, too. I have just enough earth to manage, barely. Your garden looks and sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nancy, your Zinnias are looking good. We haven't planted any yet, as we are running behind, but Zinnias will do well planted at any time during the summer in Texas. Your plants look good, Columbines are so fresh looking. I have planted Cosmos and had good luck for a couple of years. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!