Saturday, January 2, 2016

Into 2016

Onward and upwards.  Yesterday was quiet on the home front and our activities included an 8 AM Mass to start off the new year, followed by a Mexican food lunch at a quick food place that uses fresh ingredients.  My all time favorite salad is Cafe Rio's sweet pork salad with a cilantro and lime dressing.  HERE is a link for this recipe, a copy-cat one, but it looks like the original.

Julie was quarantined to her room yesterday with the noro virus. She had her first symptoms while visiting us on Thursday, and had to be immediately taken back to the Manor (her nursing facility). A quick phone call a moment ago says the entire Manor is now under quarantine, so I will not be visiting again today. All the halls are closed and patients must stay in their rooms. She said she felt pretty lousy yesterday, so hope by today she is improving.  We are so thankful the Manor is on top of this crazy bug and that she is well cared for.

"Look for the presence of God in your life," Pope Francis says on New Year's (LINK HERE)  It is a good message, and I will be on the lookout for His presence.  Take a look at the homily if you have a chance.  Gene and I are enjoying our new church home at IHM. This is my new app for my phone: The Pope

January 3-17 are the dates our parish will host homeless men overnight, providing food and shelter.  This is the link for the sponsoring shelter.  I am looking at all recipes to make inexpensive but nutritious trail mix, stored in give-away zip lock bags.  Please email or comment on this post if you have a recipe your would recommend that would make 25 or so cups of mix.  Here are a few I found: link

OK, today's update must include a new knit I made from left-over yarns.  It is the Interrupted Striped Cowl by Gretchen Tracy.


It is my first 2016 knit project, made to go with my new Eddie Bauer flannel shirt:

Although colors are not accurate on my monitor screen, the colors really DO coordinate!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE your new plaid shirt! I love a good plaid shirt. Be cute w/a neutral sweater and a sparkly statement necklace. I'm sorry Julie and the facility has been it w/the noro virus. I hope they kick it soon. I will read the Pope's article. While I don't go to church, I do believe in God and am grateful at the blessed life we have. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nancy. That noro virus is draining. I had it last January. It spreads like wildfire too so sensible to stay away in the meantime. I love your new knitting project. You would have loved the art exhibition I went to yesterday at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art. They were showing 'Modern Scottish Women' painters and I kid you not, some of the paintings were just so fabulous I wanted to take them down from where they hung and bring them home with me!! An interesting exhibit was a cast bronze figure of Queen Victoria which her daughter, Princess Louise, did. Apparently, she was the only royal ever to study in a public art school. I was most impressed. Have a good week, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon to Julie. Your new creative projects DO look colour friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Julie is well very soon! I love the knitting project-lovely colors...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi good Nancy! I wish I had a good trail mix recipe for you. What a kind endeavor.
    I think my Jenny's family has the noro virus. Yikes!
    I love your EB shirt and stunning cowl.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!