Monday, September 27, 2010

Wooden Crochet Hooks

These lovely hand fashioned crochet hooks were made by William Schmidt of Turn of the Century.




Having recently taken up crochet, and reading that wooden crochet hooks were easier to hold and made pulling yarns less taxing on finger joints, I found this one in walnut and ergonomically fashioned.  The shop is on Etsy and owned by DCWoodcraft.


 DCWoodcraft's Etsy shop made purchasing quick, and DC efficiently sent it out the next day.  The postal service cooperated by sending it quickly.

This hook feels smooth, organic and comfortable while working with it.  My SIL says she really likes hers, too.  SIL has one made in cherry wood in size "J", although any millimeter sized hook can be purchased.

Here is the crocheted baby blanket in progress with the ergonomic hook attached:


Pleased with the wood hook, I might get rid of most of those stashed plastic crochet hooks.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how to crochet but the hooks are lovely!  That blanket is beautiful!  Great job my friend!  Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have crocheted since I was a young child, but I've never used a wooden or plastic hook. I have all aluminum and then of course my finer, smaller hooks are steel. I imagine it's like knitting though, and depending on the fiber content of your yarn would determine whether or not you want to use wood or aluminum/steel. In any case, those hooks you've discovered are beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hooks are mostly steel and aluminum. I just aquired a wooden one and I like it a lot. I also have a few ancient bone hooks that I find uncomfortable. Never used plastic. Your blanket is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omi S. & BenderOakOctober 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM

    My Hooks are mostly Streal and Aluminum as well.  Lately, the Aluminum ones that aren't Clover brand have seriously been taxing my gauge.  Definitely has to do with needing weight along the whole length of the hook, and quality.  So, I've been looking at the new Etimo Hooks online, as well as some wood ones.  My friend got me a Wood Size H (nice general use size), while she was on vacation, but the finish on it seems to catch my yarn a lot.  I'll definitely check out your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!