Monday, January 17, 2011

Chintz: Table Ware, Fabrics, Interior Decoration

Chintz has always held a slight fascination for me from the time I was a little girl.  I remember chintz wallpaper (cabbage roses) on our Texas farm bathroom walls.  Maybe my chintz (as opposed to "chintzy" as in "frugality") interest started there.

From Collecting Chintz:
Over the last few years, the price and popularity of this china have experienced unprecedented growth. Collectors worldwide seek this charming floral tableware which seems to attract more and more devotees with each passing day.
The term "chintz" has its origins in India (the Indian word was chintes) where colorful patterns including richly-hued flowers and brightly plumed birds were printed on cotton fabric and imported into England from the late seventeenth century.

Amazon has this book, Antiques Roadshow Collectibles, which gives this brief explanation of chintz ware (click to enlarge):


This is a cream and saucer chintz ware set my mother was given years ago, and which I sometimes use now:


Those tiny flowers have detail in their blooms and petals, and I love the contrasting colors and depths of shading in the chintz.  Just darn pretty!

But, wait.  Chintz is not only for the table.  It was very popular in fabric a while back.  Designer Laura Ashley brought back chintz fabric in the 80's.  Do you remember your Laura Ashley dresses for both children and ladies?  They were the cat's meow then.

Examples of some chintz fabrics from Schindler's Fabrics:


More about chintz from this post by Martha B. at Nibs:
(30 years ago)

Chintz is a cotton fabric that can be either a solid color or a beautifully printed floral or stripe. But what makes it desirable is the finish which allows it to be wiped clean. In the 1980’s everyone wanted the English Country look with rooms filled with it. Laura Ashley sold millions of dollars worth of the fabric! But like many good things, its appeal came to an end until now. It’s back... with restraint.
(now...updated with less fabric in the room)

Martha B. has a blog here and you can see lots of information about interior design there; nice pictures, too.

Now that the sewing machine is dusted off, maybe I'll make a few chintz blouses for the spring.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I can't wait to see what you make with your "dusted off" sewing machine! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a lot this morning. I didn`t have an appreciation for chintz anything till maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Your mother`s china is beautiful. I still adore vintage barkcloth (the nubby stuff)with huge cabbage roses and other foliage.

    I`m gonna go back and read your post again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I found your post just fascinating. Probably because I LOVE Chintz ware. I wanted to collect it a few years back but it was a bit pricey. I have to admit...I had never heard of Chintz fabric. The pieces from your mother are simply magnificent. Thanks for sharing with us! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!