Thursday, October 6, 2011

Stained Glass Blanket

Crocheting hexagons from left over sock yarn has become my new comfort needle art project.  No need to think, just watching the magic come out of my crochet hook, almost like "creating lace in the air", like my SIL Charlotte once said.  These are the hexagons I've made thus far:


After a gadzillion of these are made, they will all be put together in one color jewel toned yarn that will hold all the little hexagons together from an independent yarn dyer (maybe from Sweet Clement on Etsy).  I'm thinking of getting this color BFL yarn:

Another blogger friend, Kepanie, showed her blanket on her blog, found here.  She always has beautiful photography, so please visit her site and tell her I sent you!  Here are Kepanie's hexagons:


An here are a few hexagons made by pennywenny:

If you like video podcast about knitting, don't miss Sheila and Wendy's Knit1HeartToo show.

There are many patterns where crocheted hexagons are detailed.  If you click on the "R project button" below, it will take you to Jessie's pattern.

From Crochetaboutdotcom, here is an easy way to crochet a hexagon:
Starting Chain: Chain 6. Join with a slip stitch in the first chain, to form a ring. 
Rnd 1: ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc in ring, (ch 3, 3 dc in ring) 5 times, ch 3, sl st in top of beginning ch-3 of this round. 
Rnd 2: sl st in ea of next 2 dc, sl st in ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as first dc), (dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in same ch-3 sp, * ch 2, skip next 3 dc, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp **, repeat the directions between * and ** 4 more times, then ch 2, skip next 3 dc, sl st in beginning ch-3 of this rnd. End off. Weave in ends.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love this stained glass beauty! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hexagons are beautiful! A great project for scrap yarn. I however prefer the spectacular colors of the hand dyed yarn you show in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahalo Nancy for mentioning my daughter's WIP blankie and my blog. So sweet of you. Your lace hexis are so fun and unique in each one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I love doing piecework blankets like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy..*hugs*
    Wish i could just sit and do those as effortlessly as you make it sound. I'm not that great a crocheter...I might give one a try and see how it goes. Yours look great and the colour you've chosen to join them is one of my fav colours.
    I wonder how many of those you'll have to make....
    have a great weekend.
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I recognize some of these stitches. I used to crochet some, but haven't in years. Your hexagons are very pretty, and look lightweight. I've only made some afghans and even houseshoes! Thanks for bringing back memories Nancy, and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!