Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Scroll Lace Scarf

Popular knitwear designer Ysolda Teague showcases her Scroll Lace Scarf available here with it wrapped around the shoulders on this pretty model:


It looked easy, so I began it with some hand dyed yarn from KnittingRose.

This was one pattern that definitely did not turn out as expected, and was a project that schooled me in what NOT to do from the start of the project to its very end.


Although it ultimately turned out well, the learning experiences for me were:
1: Use SMALLER needles; the lace holes were from 3/4 to 1 inch in size, way too large for wearing without poking a finger into the holes. Will use size 6 needles next time it is knit
2: Do NOT use circular needles. Awkward to hold while doing the 15 row, 15 stitch repeat ad infinitum.
3: ...not crazy about the picot border; think about another edging next time
4: ...stockinette stitch will curl on the body, so ensure some purl rows are included every 6 rows or so.
5: ...perhaps too many lace repeats since it is LONG! 
Finished dimensions: 85”length x 12” at widest middle point with the called for 28 repeats...Make less lace repeats next time it is knit for less length in the scarf
With these thoughts in mind, I started another Ysolda Teague Scroll Lace Scarf last night. Practice, practice, practice.

9 comments:

  1. I adore Ysolda. Yet, I'm surprised you cast on the same project after all those complaints. Surely, you can find a lace scarf project that is more to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing lace! I love how knitters have their own preferences and make all these little notes to self after completing a new pattern. Good tips for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful, looks perfect to me:) Have a blessed evening, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful. And thank you for your comments on changes for the next one. They could prove quite helpful. I admire your work. I am a bit of a flop with many patterns because I tend to lose my place if it the repeat is much more than 5-8 rows. Duh, silly me. You are right about one thing: practice, practice, practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous! Love your color choice Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just go through your post. Really good one. i like it. Thank you for sharing such a nice art.

    Stone Garden Sculptures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful scarf. I like your "what I will do next time" comments. It`s helpful. Can`t wait to see your results with the next scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!
    It looks awesome!
    I'm trying to do This scarf too, but when i started to do the scarf body i don't undestand the first row...can you tell me how to do it? Please? Thank youu ❤ kisses from Brasil

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!