Sunday, March 25, 2012

Atonement: A Pause in Lent


Following up on the Theme for Bloggers put out by Floss at Troc Broc and Recup', here is an article that I find intriguing regarding Christ and the cross, which is what Lent is all about.  The article starts out with the question "what is atonement"?

Excerpts come from a published piece in RedlandsDailyFacts by Gregory Elder, a professor of history and humanities at Moreno Valley College (CA) and a Roman Catholic priest.
The term in English, "atonement," means what it sounds like, making things to be "at one," meaning humanity being made one with God. It is used many times in the Hebrew Scriptures and is found in words meaning roughly "reconciliation." 
In the Hebrew writings, it is made clear on a number of occasions that sin separates people from friendship with God, and the ultimate penalty for human sin is death, as God promised Adam in Eden. (Genesis 3:3)  But God is also merciful and allows people time to repent their sins; death is not instantaneous. In the Mosaic covenant, this separation from God caused by sin was remedied by animal sacrifice.
Father Elder talks about three different theories of atonement: the "ransom theory", the "satisfaction" view and the "demonstration" theory.  Regarding the ransom theory, I found this quite interesting, spurring me on to purchase the old C.S. Lewis classic on my Kindle for a re-read: 
The ransom theory was very popular in antiquity, and is often expressed by my patron saint, St. Gregory of Nyssa. It is a theme of the atonement used by C.S. Lewis in his book which was recently made into a film, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."
This ransom theory, that Christ paid the ultimate sacrifice for the sins of mankind by giving his life for those who accept his divinity, and canceling out moral debts of humans, is the one I was taught from the cradle.

But as Father Elder postulates, no matter the theory behind atonement, all give pause.  And all views have been excellent fodder for homiletic points for Christ's work on the cross regarding His forgiveness of sin.

 As  As Floss says in relating to the horrific killings in her own backyard in Toulouse last week  
One thing I do know is that people who spend more time forgiving the little things are better practiced at forgiving the big things. 
 To be at one, to be forgiven, and to forgive, to be at peace...atonement.

5 comments:

  1. I have difficulty with forgiveness but more recently decided that where I can't forgive, I can pass it over to God, who can take it off my shoulders. this attitude has been helpful and allowed me to move on where I had issues in the past. You and Floss have both reminded me that starting small is better than not at all! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be ATONED - to be At One with God

    Lenten blessings x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy *hugs*
    Thank you for sharing with us. I am much like Betty where I have trouble with foregiveness in situations like this one. Perhaps I too can feel some relief in lifting these thoughts from my own shoulders. It can make it easier to focus on the good and not tear oneself in extreme anger and discomfort.

    Today is a good day here...and I hope your day is the same...enjoy..
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific discussion. I was taught that if I was good, God would love and save me. But I teach my Sunday School kids that God already loves them, like my dog loves me: unconditional positive regard. We should be good because we are loved.
    I don't like death to be the penalty. I work in hospice and we all die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO forgiving:) Thanks for sharing! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!