Thursday, November 29, 2012

Silk Painting: Poppies

A few hours to make the correctly sized frame to hold the fabric taut, two weeks to paint, a bit of a mess in the kitchen, two hours to steam the painting, and meticulous ironing of the silk resulted in this painting:

Dimensions: 33" X 22"

Close up of the flower in left upper corner

I am pleased with the results and learned more about using the gutta resist. This will go to our local frame shop (today?) to be protected by some sort of plastic overlay.

Thanks to the husband for finding the wood for the frame and for putting up with me in the kitchen while completing this project.  He still managed to make some wonderful meals while working around the paints on the counter tops.

Prior posts on my silk paintings can be found here and here.

11 comments:

  1. Your poppies are beautiful. Worth every bit of mess in the kitchen! Have been exploring your art blog too from your link - I must say I do love the way you marry texts and images. So thought provoking and makes the images very "alive". Thank you for enriching my day. E x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Nancy-this is incredible. I love the watery efffects-it's an amazing painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THis is absolutely magnificent, Nancy....I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous! Worth all the mess and trouble. Of course without your talent and creativity, it wouldn't have turned out this beautifully! I love the vivid colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely poppy painting :O). So neat w/the dark and light areas that really create dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beauiful Nancy. I love your vibrant colors. Everything you do is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, it's gorgeous! Orange is so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous:) LOVE the colors! Have a blessed weekend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So worthy of a messy kitchen! You're so talented. I'm thankful you shared the beauty. And bless your husband for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did I miss this post! I must be too busy - time to slow down.... I love your silk painting and you are brave to go BIG! Beautiful work Nancy. Betty x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!