Monday, November 26, 2012

Angels and Oranges

Be it a spiritual angel,
or referring to fun in the snow

or thinking about the most important event in the realm of Christianity as relating to Jesus' birth when the Angel Gabriel announced to Mary:
Luke 1:26 In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” 29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
we are all somehow linked into God's kingdom.  And I believe angels do guide and protect me while in a state of grace.  (More about this here on guidance and protection.)

A few angels from my Christmas display collection:


See the angel furthermost to the left in the picture above?  My mother had that easel angel for many years.  She usually displayed it right beneath a pot of ivy.  I think she must have connected to her heavenly roots each time she gazed on that angel.  Stair-stepping up from the left is a contemporary angel my sister Pam gave me several years ago. I asked for it; wasn't that greedy?  But she willingly complied...I just wanted an angel from her!  Then the angel at the center-most top of the photograph was given to me by my friend Francis eleven years ago before she died that following summer.  I always think of Fran and the good times we had painting together when I hold that fragile pink glass angel. The white angel above was given to me by my friend Carol about 15 years ago.  We met in the early '70's when our husbands were in graduate school in Michigan, and we still keep in touch.

Linking to Inspiration Avenue and the Theme of the Week: Angels

Inspiration Avenue Challenge Link
 
also linking to Mandarin Orange Monday with a bowl of tangelos and orange squash

16 comments:

  1. I have a little huddle of angels in the entry way and I was thinking about putting them away, but I think I'll wait until January. I like them. Yours are meaningful and beautiful. I like thinking about angels.
    Yay for Cuties! I wish I had some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a precious collection of Angels! Lots of memories past and present! HUGS to you dear Nancy, enjoy your Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your angel collection is sweet. It's nice to have memories connected to each one. Sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy, You did a beautiful job representing angels in your post for the challenge! TFS
    Hugs,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, I love your angel collection. So wonderful that some of them have such meaning to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the variety of angels!! I too have an angel of my mom's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother was a ceramic artist, and created many different Christmas items. She was famous for her nativity sets, which were so detailed and so carefully painted! Of all her fancy stuff, though, my favorite is a simple blue tile with the city of Bethlehem under the Star painted on it. I have to go look for that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That touches me. I hope you locate it. Am thinking of you as you search.

      Delete
  8. I love that you're personally connected to each angel. And what a lovely story about how Mary was chosen to carry Jesus. I've never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice still life in orange:) I like the colour and the distinct edges. Thanks for sharing it on Mandarin Orange Monday.
    I had a little angel and boat ornament when I was a child.. I kept it for years but about 10 years ago our house was burgled - they must have liked it. But they left the other childhood keepsake...my little cat ornament:)
    Nice collection Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh lovely post Nancy
    Thanks on the snowmen (:)
    hugs..p

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always fascinated by angel tales and you have some pretties there :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your beliefs about angels, and your angelic collection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You angel collection is a real treasure for you I am sure. How nice to read the person or meaning behind each one.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your collection is more than just a collection as it symbolizes special people or special times in your life. They are treasures that hold thier meaning in your heart ... very beautiful.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful and meaningful collection, Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!