Friday, May 10, 2013

Guy Rescues Hummingbird



source

This is a baby hummingbird I rescued after it was attacked. The song is "Better Together" by Jack Johnson.
UPDATE!!! when she thought she was ready to leave (and she was) she flew off to her favorite patch of the back yard, and her instincts instantly kicked in, and now she's just like all the other hummingbirds. for those that are concerned that she has imprinted on humans and wouldn't survive in the wild, don't worry, she is thriving. she has even successfully migrated and returned back to my yard. and for those who think i didn't know what i was doing, i did NOT feed her plain sugar water. i went outside 3 times a day and caught flies from my compost bin (be green people) in big bags, crushed them, and mixed them in as well. I also helped her learn to catch flies while flying (not in the video because the flies were too small). It was a pretty hectic but very rewarding experience and, in the end, i don't think it could have worked out any better :)

6 comments:

  1. Nancy~You absolutely made my day! I loved this so much!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so beautiful to watch. There were a lot of hummingbirds in the hotel grounds when I went to Turkey a few years back and I tried so hard to photograph them, they are so quick it's impossible to get them in one place for more than seconds! to see them being fed by hand was really lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy, this was beautiful. What a wonderful he did for that precious creature. Happy Mother's Day Nancy!♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! Thank you for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! You are the hummingbird whisperer! What an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!