Friday, May 17, 2013

Paint Party Friday

This photograph has been passed among my brothers and me after our parents died.  Strange how it resurfaced from the family archives only after they had passed.

It is a favorite because our parents looked so happy in the back of that (probably snazzy) old coupe.  Mom looked like a star with her dotted scarf and round dark sunglasses. It was likely taken in 1941 or '42.   Dad's naval hat in upper right sets the tone and time of the photograph while Mom's dress and smile sets the carefree attitude of a day away from problems.


Over the past two summers I have tried to paint a portion of this. It is still on the work desk. Maybe this summer it will be completed.  Or not.


She does not need too much detail; perhaps defining the lips and making the glasses smaller.  Of course the hands need work.  We shall see.

As usual, linking to Paint Party Friday.  Last week there were 123 links!

9 comments:

  1. lovely photo ..they looked so stylish in the 50s..I have got photos of my mum from that era too looking very glam happy ppf

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a cool photo and your painting is coming along just great! can't wait to see it finished! happy ppf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great photo Nancy! Great isn't even a good enough word...this is so fabulous! Like you said, the scarf, sunglasses, the naval hat-strike a pose! You must finish your painting of it. A wonderful piece of nostalgia. I would be proud to come across a relic such as this! OK...I'll stop now, (but it's the truth!).

    Have a great weekend, Nancy,see you soon!♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fun project Nancy, you did well

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous photo. Keep at it ..you are getting it. Sometimes we have to get out of our left side of the brain.. we cant do it.. mentality and just do it. HPPF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that photo! Your work is awesome! Can't wait to see if when it is ALL finished:) Have a blessed week dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous picture. I wish I had one like that of my parents! With them, one of them was always holding the camera! Both were in the Navy, though mom got out after 3 years and dad stayed in for 23.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous photograph to have of your parents. And wonderful to translate it into a painting. I was popping by to tell you that Cath Kidston oilcloth you mentioned is an old one, and I don't think they do it any longer - I got it around 2009, I think. It is a lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pic of your parents. It was a glamorous shot.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!