Friday, July 26, 2013

Royal Prince George: Christening Gown

Friend Mary who writes this blog passed along a few articles that may be of interest to fibre enthusiasts.  Here is one of interest from the Shetland Times about the royal baby's christening gown that Sandra Manson from Bressay was commissioned to knit: ARTICLE HERE

...a quote from the article:
The robe was made of Shetland supreme one-ply worsted spun yarn, which is the nearest to homespun it is possible to get. Although the full-length garment only took two weeks to make, it took six weeks to plan.
We met Sandra in Shetland two weeks ago; what a nice woman and talented knitter!


Then another on Shetland Woolens here from a blogger who knows her stuff.  Mary also found that article.

And to end on this note: I am knitting up a dog sweater with a kit purchased from Jamieson & Smith while in Lerwick, and loving knitting it.  It is made up with sheep and rams' horns in nine natural colors of the different sheep on Shetland.  And the name of the pattern is clever: A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing by Kate Davies.  Here is the finished picture of what it will look like:


And here is where I've gotten so far:

4 comments:

  1. Oh Nancy your knitting is superb - I wish I had a dog to put a coat like this on! I think you must have been a Shetlands girl in another life - you took to it so well and got so much out of your visit. I have never been there but you have sparked an interest - and of course it isn't nearly so far for me! It has been so interesting to see something of the lifestyle and crafts. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an honor to be asked by a royal family to knit such an important piece of clothing for the new baby. Phenomenal honor.
    That dog sweater is TOO cute! LOve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Fair Isle ... I would have snapped that kit up too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!