Friday, February 7, 2014

Photos Scanned, Clean Up Happened

Although I have not been blogging, I have been reading each of your posts, my friends.  First, let me say that I have tried to comment on most of your blogs, and secondly, since two weeks ago, daughter Julie came through her medical problems just fine.  No more headaches, no surgery.

That new scanner I ordered is the bee's knees.  Or is it bees' knees?  Anyway, it works very well, creating light where there was none, enhancing colors, cropping off non-essentials, etc.  It is just a run of the mill brand and was inexpensive, but it is the technology that has changed over the years. The old scanner just was not cutting it.  Results of all that scanning of old photos resulted in several trash cans full of old albums and photos.  And several boxes of heavier papers and albums were taken away by the local disposer.  We get an old age discount because the waste disposal guys figure that seniors don't have much trash.  Suppose we more than got out money's worth from this trash removal service over the last couple of weeks.

All in all, those pictures from the 1970's until digital times have all been scanned.  And the result? The best ones are now residing on one thumb drive. Amazing. It was an emotional time, truthfully.  Looking at my daughters when they were babes in arms, thinking of those years, most of which were troubled and unhappy, working hard, having little free time.  I had so much rather be living my life now rather than then. A couple of digital photo flashing frames were loaded with hundreds of vacation and family photos. The good times can be remembered at will. Happy, happy.

One large four drawer file cabinet is now in the garage ready for the "Fresh as a Daisy" pickup that the city provides in April for items too large for regular pick up.  And now my little study is boasting a new two drawer mahogany and much smaller file for papers.  Lots of the old files were also trashed.  Who knew one could accumulate so much unimportant stuff over a few years time?

Clean up pictures:
 (organized, items tossed)

(dusted)

And the amaryllis bulbs Natalie gave me are growing, finally,  in the guest bath:


The husband ordered new retirement business cards.  He has not yet handed one out, and I'm wondering if people will need an explanation of his thought process in creating these.  Probably he will not even get reactions.  Who knows.  And what price would one pay to a holistic detective agent?


Yes, knitters, I have now completed two thirds of my Looped Loop cowl and am on the home stretch of the Delancey Cardigan in grey and mustard orange.  The Looped Loop has to be knit under strong light. Usually I am watching some Inspector Lynley mystery shows on Netflix, so there have been a few dropped stitches. Next up to watch is "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas", Jan.   And yesterday I was involved enough to have to rip out some grey on the cardigan because it was time for a stripe.  Onward.

7 comments:

  1. Your husband is so clever! And you so industrious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to scan photos and collect all of them onto digital, but it's so daunting!! I guess I would rather knit. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great organizing done there. What did you do with all of the pictures? I was happy to read Julie is resting and recovering well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those bunny bookends! I am so impressed that you went through all of those photos and have a jump drive to prove it. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hats off to you for scanning ALL of those memories:) I need to do the same thing! Enjoy your weekend dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fabulously organised! I have a box of photos that need this treatment! We also have a lot of old holiday videos that need putting into a 'stick' or something!
    I bet it feels great to have all your stuff archived and more space. p.s. haven't got round to that corn bread yet - must get a day to make friends with my kitchen again. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your method of organization. It is so easy to gather 'stuff', and then, not know what to do with it. I have a tendency to think I'm going to need the useless stuff at some point, so it's hard to get rid of it.

    And, I'm very glad to hear that Julie is doing well. Have a good week Nancy! And, Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!