Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Acrylic Impasto Technique

For the church sanctuary display beginning on Sunday, April 27, and continuing through the summer in Ordinary Times of the liturgical season, I decided to try the impasto technique of raising flowers with thickened acrylics.  Not having any thick acrylics on hand, YouTube came up with a way to make a stiffener for paints.  It can be seen here.  But I still prefer buying the Liquitex product.

A few close ups of the flowers using both a palette knife, brushes and thickened acrylics, along with twigs glued onto the canvas and painted over with acrylics:


Fimo clay shaped and baked at 225 degrees lilies


'

This is the completed 36" x 24" canvas:


...to be paired with the poppy finished a few weeks ago:

24" x 36", acrylic

Does it make you feel like spring may be closer than we think?

9 comments:

  1. Nancy this is a beautiful technique. I really do love it. Sensational colors too. Your header is sensational too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your church appreciates your art. I've always wondered how the paint was made 3-D like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this technique NAncy, both pictures are lovely. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Yes, I am thinking of spring now! Poppies are so lovely. I can't wait. You are so talented, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nancy-get out! This is such a beautiful floral portrait! So much texture and color! I'm not an art critic, but, your flower and color choices make for a great garden! I love it!

    Thank you for this pretty spring tease! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! What a wonderful paintings!! Hands off to your paintings. Loved it. You are really a talented one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, gorgeous! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing and beautiful and I am so glad I saw it! Thank you for sharing!x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!