Friday, March 14, 2014

Candied Violets and KnitWits

There are lots of ways to make sugar coated violets.  Since my two violets are blooming profusely, it was time to make a few to top a basic buttermilk cake from Lottie and Doof.



This is what they look like after 14 hours in the fridge


Be sure to give yourself a day for the egg whites to dry, making them ahead of time so that they will be ready for cake decoration.


Several KnitWits were served cake and ice cream yesterday sans the violet toppers since they were still drying. Should have read the recipe two days ago. Oh well.


Still knitting on the chevron Delancey cardigan and am half way through one sleeve.  Pictures later.

Remember it is Fiber Arts Friday!
Photobucket and linking with a new site, from a home schooler in South Africa

7 comments:

  1. Who needs the violets, looks like some very scrumptious strawberries and cake there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done that before, not reading ahead to preprep an ingredient. Oops! At least yours was more minor as you were able to crank out that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to candy your own violets! Make another cake to decorate with them when they're dry! I've bookmarked that buttermilk cake - it looks delicious as does the "sour milk jam" accompaniment. Love your new banner by the way - so Spring-like and cheerful. Have a lovely weekend Nancy! E x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake and strawberries do look very good. But, I hope your sugar violets turned out good. Happy St. Patrick's Day Nancy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so nice to knit and chat with fellow crafters, and cakes too! Oh my that's my perfect day for relaxation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a photo of African violets on my post today, too! I never thought about crystalising them... now I shall remember! I also have French violets in the garden outside, and I must get some photos of them, too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!