Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What They Said, What They Shared

Without other people in our lives pointing us to new things to read, new things to cook, new reasons for "why things happen", new things to view on tv, and  new knitting techniques and patterns, our lives would not be near as diverse.  So here are a few of my new favorite things that have lateley been pointed out to me.

...as relating to online games, this article is well worth a read about Granny Chichi who lives in Belize and is whupping her journalistic grandson in the most charming of wordy ways  (Severo Avila said it)

...as relating to cooking, here are a few absolutely delicious recipes my friends and husband have made over the past few months. I was a lucky recipient of their good eats. (Gene, Natalie, and Dottie said it)
...as related to why it rains in the fallthis is what Simon said

...as related to streaming movies, this summer I have watched and enjoyed the following older movies, new to me (Pam mostly said it)
  • The Chorus
  • Haute Cuisine
  • Found Memories
  • Stories They Tell
  • Midsomer Murders with new episodes just released
...as relating to knitting, (Esther Budd  said it) the Her Royal Highness Shawl, which I am knitting for the second time because I am a glutton for punishment, tells me I am currently knitting, in the round, several thousand stitches just on one round for the ruffle on this shawl.
Above is Kate the Duchess of Cambridge in 2011 in a knitted green shawl that caused a stir in the fiber world. If you click on the source link, you will see where it could have been purchased back then.  Esther Budd came up with a pattern for the knit shawl that you can purchase here.  So now you can make your own shawl similar to that of the Duchess.  You can see why Budd calls it the "suicide ruffle" in her pattern if you have ever knit this many stitches in just one pattern repeat
(started on the suicide ruffle a day ago, apologies for poor quality of that green color)

this is the yarn for the HRH shawl I'm working on:  numma numma in wintermint and a truer color shown, referred by The Knit Girllls
What have YOU been pointed to lately?  What have you learned?  What can you recommend?  Tell, tell!

Photobucket
Linking as usual with Tami at Works in Progress Wednesday and Yarn Along and Fiber Arts Friday.

and Natural Suburbia.

6 comments:

  1. I started that shawl when it first came out.....still love the shawl, but the yarn i had chosen wasn't working well, it got frogged, and never restarted! you are quite the brave one---doing it twice. This color is beautiful!
    and I like your 'take' on all the inspiration in the virtual world....I sometimes feel as if I'm nothing but a copycat. I like your version---I'm simply inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HRH looks like a young, college student there. I remember the popularity of that shawl. That is nice, vintage, minty green you're working with. I enjoyed reading that Scrabble article. Shared it on Google+. It was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun! I bet that shawl you are doing will look really lovely! fun colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful color for the shawl. I remember that photo of Duchess Kate it is a lovely shawl. Looking forward to seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see the finished shawl. Ruffles are awful to knit or crochet because they never seem to end. Then again they are not much fun to make with fabric either. They always look so pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shawl will be stunning. I love the color of yarn you picked.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!