Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Enter Free Children’s Book Drawing on July 10, 2008

Recently, Amazon fulfilled my order request for a book entitled “A Squash and a Squeeze.” It is a rhyming children’s book with a moral teaching: be content with what you have, instead of always wishing for more.

I would like to give this handsome used book to a reader who might like it for their child or grandchild. Just leave a comment, and the random generator will choose an entrant’s name if you respond within 10 days.

One of the reasons I purchased this book was that it was a childhood favorite of mine. I asked my husband if he knew of the book, and his negative response was enough for me to hunt down this little gem. It has charming, timeless illustrations of farm animals.

Here is a UKSchoolRadio synopsis of the book:
A rhyming story about a woman who turns to her friend for help to find more room in her tiny house, as she finds it rather a ‘squash and a squeeze’! Following his advice, she brings all her animals into the house. She then finds the house even smaller, but when she is instructed to take them all out again, she finds that her house is gigantic for one!
At the end of the story, the little old lady is delighted to realize what a fine home she had before all the animals came to live with her. The last page says: “She’s full of frolics and fiddle-dee-dees. It isn’t’ a squash and it isn’t a squeeze.”

There is a lesson of being content with present circumstances that we can all learn, no matter our age.

(The copyright on the book says 1993, but the original date had to be prior to 1950, because my older brothers also had a book by this title in their bookshelf prior to my arrival.)

Just leave your name in the comment section below to win a chance for this delightful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!