Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Week in the USA

Leaves in our yard...


A close up of the pretty gold craft leaves Betty the Wood Fairy sent me from the UK


Betty took some pictures of leaves while on her walk and inspired me to do the same.  Go look at her silk painting of leaves here.  (She goods such a good job of painting on silk fabric and her music in the background will make you feel you are in the woods taking a walk with her.)

The marigolds, mums and daisy are blooming in the greenhouse even after several nights when the outside temperature was well below freezing.

Using the pretty leaves both from nature and from the hands of a craftsman, as well as mums and marigolds, I tried to mimic the colors in silk.  This is the beginning of a silk painting using those colors and shapes ...


and with more flowers and definition:

Jaquard silk paints on 8 mm silk, finished size 8"x10"

The colors turned out a bit garish, but it is all a learning experiment.  Usually I paint on a heavier silk with nubs, and the colors do not look as they are straight from the bottle.  And on this piece I did not mix colors or water them down.  All a learning curve ... but I think this might perk up an entryway


LorikArt

12 comments:

  1. oh my, beautiful beautiful work and beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love your gorgeous painting AND those leaves are SO pretty! Have a blessed day dear Nancy, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy! I love the leaves. You painters, you are such a blessing!
    Happy thankful week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH good the leaf skeletons DID inspire you! I knew you would be good with leaves and these are not garish at all - I like them. So pleased you are feeling creative. You really must do more silk painting - you get on with each other well. Bettyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, beautiful work and photos.

    I love that some of my flowers are still blooming. It really adds a cheerful note to the day. I was amazed yesterday to see that there are some little marigolds and zinnias in one of the beds that have come up in the past few weeks and are now budding, despite our having had a couple of good frosts in recent weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have really captured the quality of the leaves and your work is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your leaf paintings are so free form and pretty. Don't you love the flow of paint on silk? Great job and the colors are fantastic. I visited Betty...you're right...the woodsy feel was very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your silk painting has taken the beauty of the leaves and multiplied it! It is really lovely.
    Thank you for taking part in Mandarin Orange Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what lovely flowers! How bright in cheerful in dreary November!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great inspiration to work from. Your painting is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos of the leaves are beautiful, and, I love your painting! It certainly would perk up an entryway, or work really nice in a bedroom.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Nancy! It's supposed to be a beautiful day in Texas...I'm looking forward to the Macy's parade in the morning! Hugs!♥

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!