Monday, January 7, 2013

Poppies and IA Challenge

Poppies are a favorite flower.


Ivon Hitchens (British artist, 1893-1979) Flowers

According to this source the poppy means that...
The red petals stand for the vast outpouring of blood; the yellow and black center, the mud and desolation of all battlefields. The green of the stem is symbolic of the forests, meadows and fields where generations of Americans have perished to make this land free. The stem represents the courage and determination of our fallen warriors. The assembled product, a flower, is a symbol of resurrection, which is sure to follow.
In the book The Language of Flowers, poppy means consolation.



Darling earrings  source

A favorite blog read is BJWS; this paragraph is taken from her post found here about poppies.
In the World War I battlefields of Belgium, poppies grew wild amid the ravaged landscape. How could such a delicate flower grow bright and  wild surrounded by death and destruction? The overturned soils of battlefield enabled the poppy seeds to be covered, allowing them to thrive and to serve as a reminder of the bloodshed during that and future wars. The use of poppies as a remembrance for those who served in war was inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields" written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae of the WWI Canadian forces in 1915.
poppies on silk by McCarroll

Elsbeth Müller-Kaempff (German artist, 1869–1940) 

Poppies have been painted, photographed and written about since time immemorial.  Show us a picture or write about poppies and link back to Inspiration Avenue (IA). I will comment on every entry and will surely  enjoy each of your posts.  Here is a linky picture to use in your post if you would like to copy it.

Inspiration Avenue Challenge Link

11 comments:

  1. Fun challenge, Nancy! Even your blog background is poppies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful:) I love those gorgeous poppies! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your own painting-it's beautiful. This was a nice post-I should post a painting my mom did of poppies.
    ~Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are always so resourceful and informative with educational bits. Your poppies are vivid and this new look for your blog is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a poppy lover, too, but I didn't know about the meaning of them. I always learn something when I visit here. The poppies you posted are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This week's challenge was right down my alley! I love poppies, they are my alltime favorites. Love the images here on your site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great choice for the IA challenge - what's not to love about poppies, right? Love that your background is poppies too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poppies are so much fun to paint. Enjoyed the challenge. Really like the poppies on your page background as well.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  9. The poppies on silk is lovely! Your blog background is really eye catching as well. Wonderful job on the challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for suggesting this challenge--poppies are just beautiful and I enjoyed your post and all the submissions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nancy, What a lovely post. My mother brought the poem "Flanders Field" to my attention some years ago. It is her favorite poem, she said they would recite it in school. I love your poppy painting and the others you have presented.

    Sorry to be so late, I've been fighting pneumonia and trying to get better. Have a good weekend!♥

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!