Friday, May 15, 2015

On the Watch

A reflection on the almond tree:

Elizabeth wrote a thoughtful comment on the previous post about God being on the watch.  He is. Looking into the Old Testament verse in Jeremiah 1: 11-12, indulge me in this. This link gave me pause.
It is amazing to see beautiful almond trees blossoming all over Israel every winter. They are the first tree to blossom and yet the last to bear fruit. 
The almond tree is associated with one of the earliest prophecies of a young Jeremiah. “Moreover the word of the Lord came to me, saying, ‘Jeremiah, what do you see?’ And I said, ‘I see a branch of an almond tree.’ Then the Lord said to me, ‘You have seen well, for I am watching to perform My word.’”
God is on the watch, taking care of us all, if we only pause to see the wonderment of His goodness.



Also from the referenced link:
The Hebrew word for almond, shaked, is also translated “to watch”. By seeing the almond branch, God assured Jeremiah that He is watching over His word to bring it to pass, no matter the passage of time.


The picture of the two chairs with the sunlight coming down on them was one of the last dozen or so Jack had sent me from the vantage point of his front step, looking out onto their lawn.  Now there is only one person left on earth to occupy that pair of chairs, and Julie is setting her mark on the world in her unique way from her bed, if not her wheelchair.

Things are going well.  Julie is getting through the anger stage of grief, although it will still flare up occasionally when she is especially stressed, trying to heal physically and emotionally. Only a few days ago she told me that she had Stage IV breast cancer, diagnosed in 2012.  She had originally told me the oncologist had diagnosed her as "Stage III plus."  Her pressure wounds have shown no improvement, but as far as we know, she is in remission from cancer.

None of us knows the timing of our demise.  Henri Nouwen's meditation today was apt. 
How we leave others depends largely on how we prepare ourselves for death.  When we can die with grateful hearts, grateful to God and our families and friends, our deaths can become sources of life for others.
- Henri J. M. Nouwen  
Jack certainly left a source of life for all of us.  I can only hope to do as well.

6 comments:

  1. May it be, that our death can be the passage to life; that photo is so beautiful of the two chairs; reminds me of how Christ has a place for each of us in heaven; may He have mercy on us and indeed may we always know that God is with us and sees where we are and is with is in the middle of it. Thank you for your beautiful post; may God strengthen you in this difficult time and be with your suffering daughter....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL's death. I'm glad your daughter is doing a bit better (tho sad about her Stage 4 diagnosis). I'll keep you both in my prayers!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy your post is a reminder to all who read it that with faith comes the ability to accept. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for you all! God will be there always, for that I am SO thankful! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice to see the almond tree. Wonderful capture of sun rays falling at the back of the chair...

    ReplyDelete
  6. CUTE CUTE CUTE Nancy..love your poppy banner..you are such an artist ! and the background too.
    hugs,Patty

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!