Monday, June 9, 2008

Growing Indian Rope or Hindu Hoya

For over twenty-five years, I have had this Indian Rope Hoya (or Hindu Hoya) in my home. It was given to me by a friend around 1983 when she was moving away from Colorado. The hoya is in the original container, and its potting soil has been changed a couple of times. Other than that, it remains pretty much like is was years ago except for its additional growth downwards.

It has grown many times its original size, and it has been divided and pieces given to other friends along the way. It requires very little water, not much light, and thrives on benign neglect.

Then last year, it bloomed. To my amazement and out of the clear blue, it actually bloomed. Shock upon shock, it is blooming again right now.

So I took a picture of the hoya it and did a little research on this plant.

Dave says it can get 4-6 feet in height. This elderly plant has never grown over about 3 inches tall, but its weight does cause it to drape attractively.

Below is a close-up of the little blooms that look like small ceramic flowers. If I had not touched them myself and known it was actually growing out of soil, I would have thought them to be pasted-on porcelain or clay molded blooms.

I've grown quite attached to this well behaved house plant. And it NEVER talks back.

1 comment:

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!