Friday, August 27, 2010

Sometimes a Mistake is Just a Mistake

Let's make this clear. Working on the Lovely Eliina Scarf (download from Ravelry available here), after hours and hours of knitting lace, it was wrong.  Bad knitter; poor follower of directions; incompetent reader, you fill in the blank... - but it was just WRONG.  What to do with this mass of yarn that was almost a finished shawl?  Continue on knitting, hoping the mistakes were not noticeable, or do the honorable thing and start over in knitting that lace edging?

Rip, tink, frog, whatever you want to call the tedious process, I took out 24 rows of lace knitting, with over 300 stitches in each lace row.  It was knit incorrectly

Was it g-d punishing me?  Was I supposed to take this injustice because I did not recycle that latest plastic milk jug, pushing it way down in the garbage can, hoping it would not be noticed by the neighborhood eco patrol?  Or was it payback because I spoke harshly to my cranky father?  Or because my telephone manners were poor when I did not identify myself when making that phone call a few weeks back?  Or am I just a totally bad person?

Sob...here is the lovely Eliina being ripped out, along with my aching heart:


Or could it just be a mistake, and life goes on?


Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Sigmund Freud (1856-1939)

Stay tuned for the latest assesment in a few weeks, hopefully after the Lovely Eliina is finished with the lace knit the way the designer intended.

3 comments:

  1. You are too hard on yourself. Naughty Nancy? I think not. I`ve been known to open my mouth one time too many.The older I get, the more I do it.  We all do it!

    I have pulled many rows of crochet out over the years. Covering the mistake sometimes doesn`t help. It always catch`s up with me. Even if I`m the only one who can see the mistake, out it comes. Perfection can be a royal pain!

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, it is rotten, isn't it?! however, i have a shawl on which i completely mis-knit the lace border, decided to keep it regardless, and now am too ashamed to ever wear it. you did the right thing, as painful as it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, it is rotten, isn't it?! however, i have a shawl on which i completely mis-knit the lace border, decided to keep it regardless, and now am too ashamed to ever wear it. you did the right thing, as painful as it seems!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!