Monday, August 23, 2010

Succulents Indoors on a Shelf

Make you own private garden space indoors: use various succelents as the base of intrigue.

Outside, about a dozen of my succulents will die during the next few months because of weather changes.  What a shame to lose those plants.  So I brought them inside, giving them new pots and a new growing space with light.

eHow says:
Cute Little Plants photo by Kristie Karns of eHow

Succulents are unusual and interesting plants. They come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colors and they all store water in their wide leaves. Knowing how to take care of them as house plants is essential to helping them thrive in an inside environment. They are drought resistant plants but in certain climates they cannot be grown outdoors. Try picking out some of the more unusual looking specimens for your succulent collection, as they can be quite the conversation piece.
Alongside my computer space, at eye level when at the keyboard, is an old fiber board bookcase which has held life objects over the past thirty years. I cleaned it out this weekend, and now it contains only items which are used on a frequent basis (knitting books, a scanner, CDs and computer paraphernalia, to name a few).

On one shelf, attached to be underside of the shelf above, is a 22" inexpensive fluroescent light that gives illumination needed for the little plants to grow and give off oxygen.

If Kiki could be here to take photographs, she would show the true essence of the succulents.  Go over to her blog and look at objects she has captured with amazing charm and spirit.

Here are a few pictures of my new indoor succulent garden taken from plants that were growing outdoors until yesterday:


the oriental "mud man" was purchased at a local garden center

4 comments:

  1. Nancy...wow....beautiful!! your garden is pure paradise..such warmth and beauty...and such a lush feeling..they all look very happy and well cared for..you have a magic touch.

    I love the little green frog awww..he is just such a gentle soul......and your mud man..I have a similar tiny one..how awesome! Wow..thankyou for your super generous mention..you are wonderful for saying so...thankyou for your kind compliment..it means alot.. HUgs!!
    Have a sparkling day...and thankyou for making mine dazzle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pictures Nancy. I enjoy a succulent garden. They are fairly self sufficent and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy! I have acquired a great liking for succulents just recently. I have all mine outside though. I am hoping they will all flourish. They seem to be doing well now. Very nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my succulents. Many thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!