Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fascinators (Women's Hats)

The Royal Wedding showed off its finest.  Some links for your enjoyment are included at the bottom of the post relating from fashion to the sanctity of marriage.

But first, let's talk about the hats almost all wedding celebrants were wearing yesterday.  I learned from a television commentator a new term for those hats that sit on the side of the head: "fascinators".

The hat style, as SIL Charlotte remarked, it not new.  In fact, fascinators were quite in style in the 18th and 19th centuries.  Here is Marie Antoinette in what could be called a fascinator on her head:
Hats are not required to sit atop the head, but can be an adornment to an elaborate hairdo.  Marie shows her up-do to advantage with the fascinator adding at least 10-12 inches to her height!

From yesterday's ceremony, note the hat that Posh Girl wore yesterday with a sleek pony tail:

Kate Middleton has generally favored Philip Treacy as her favorite hat stylist.  Now that she is Catherine, Royal Highness, the Duchess of Cambridge, Mr. Treacy will likely continue to be a designer icon world-wide.

Remember Catherine in this Philip Treacy hat?

So an old made new style is coming back for hats.  The Fascinator!  Let's all run out and buy a few.

Satanica on Etsy has these lovely fascinators for sale at a reasonable price; swing over to this page to see more and/or to purchase on Etsy (everything hand made).



As promised, web links, courtesy of Living the Grand Life:

6 comments:

  1. I loved many of the hats that were worn, except one what one of young royals wore, that pink one with what looked like a sculpture smacked right in the front! What an interesting post and I will remember that term, fascinators!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the hats, well... most of them:) Some seemed to sit too far on the front of their heads! I always enjoy a good trying on of hats in the stores, why don't we wear them more? Our Pianist wore a hat on Easter Sunday... the ONLY one! It was gorgeous! Have a blessed weekend, hmmmmm perhaps I'll wear one to Church tomorrow:) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hats were just wonderful! Too bad someone didn't help Fergie's daughters get dressed. They could have used some help! The bride & maid of honor were gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got to watch a bit of the wedding on Friday morning, and WOW! what neat hats. They really donned the bonnets for this occasion. And, me too, Nancy, I had never heard them called Fascinators! One hat, though, covered the lady's face, but it was the same color as her suit-a perfect match. You put out some great pictures. I really like the green hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hats you showed at the end of your post? I have an idea...you could just recycle those long past shoulder pads and adorn them with anything you like! :=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved looking at all the fun hats that the ladies wore at the wedding. I have a small collection of hats, but none so flamboyant. I must change that I think.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!