Monday, May 9, 2011

Cancer and My Daughter

Malignant, malevolent, invasive: cancer

It has happened again, and to my daughter.  And it is breast cancer.  And how will she choose to deal with it during the normal course of Stages of Grief ?
  • Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
  • Anger (why is this happening to me?)
  • Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
  • Depression (I don't care anymore)
  • Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

She could be stuck and stay angry and depressed.  But knowing her, she will not.

Allow me to give you a background for Julie.  This is a picture of my daughter and me in her first week of  life, along with a little social history:

(the rest of the story can be read at More Magazine by clicking on this link)

Daughter Julie has been dealing with this latest diagnosis of an advanced breast cancer for about a month.  She has a myriad of medical complications to go along with this recent diagnosis.  But she has taken on this current medical problem with her usual courage and a complete lack of self pity.

So when I dare to complain, I remind myself to look to my exceptional daughter and her life.  How can one not marvel at her successes and her positive outlook?  And how could I think of ranting my despair from petty disillusionments or physical pains? 

God unceasingly reminds me of Julie, my role model for serene acceptance of what life throws at her.  I am blessed because she blesses.

There are things that we don't
want to happen but have to accept,
things we don't want to know but have to learn,
and people we can't live without but have to let go.

~ Author Unknown

16 comments:

  1. She is a warrior and an inspiration and will always be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nancy I just don't know what to say. I am so sorry to hear this. Reading your article it is clear that Julie is a strong and courageous girl who will fight as she has fought all her life.

    My thoughts are with you all.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your daughter and your entire family.

    She sounds like a real fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you both. Strength and resilience are qualities you possess in abundance. Prayers and warm thoughts your way.

    John and Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, your post has just sent shivers down my spine. Such strength in much adversity and so sad to hear about the diagnosis.. Your daughter sounds like an amazing person, as you indeed must be as well. I wish you both strength to work your way through this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Nancy, I am so sorry to hear this about Julie! I read the story of her birth... God had a plan that she would touch SO many lives and it sounds like she has done just that!

    I'll be praying for her as she goes thru those steps you listed and her strength will get her thru it! BIG HUGS and continued prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, God had a job for your daughter, and it looks like she is carrying out her tasks as planned. You have become such a strong woman as a result. And you say you are blessed because of this beautiful child. I am blessed to know someone who can generate that strength to others! Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, Nancy! I'm so very sorry to hear this. My prayers will be with Julie and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You took the time to post a comment on my blog, so I stopped by. I can't imagine how difficult this diagnosis is for you. I'm a palliative nurse and no matter how many patients I work with, this is the first time this has ever happened in a life and the theory of stages of grief may not even fit. My prayers are with you and thank you for reaching out to introduce me to your beautiful blog and your amazing daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your daughter sounds like an amazing individual. Know that you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nancy, I cannot imagine how this latest about Julie affects the whole family. Her story is amazing. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing story of your daughter. Thinking of you, her and the rest of family during this difficult time. You are all in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nancy..*tight hugs*
    I didn't know any of this was going on in your life and I'm very sorry for this time going on with your family. The story you wrote and the article is very amazing indeed. How well your daughter has done...

    It sounds like your daughter is very strong as are you...and I will keep very strong thoughts and prayers in my heart.

    *hugs*
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Nancy...it's so hard to believe that Julie is having to deal with this now. She is such an amazing young woman! I am saying prayers for all of you. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nancy, thank for telling me about Julie and sharing this part of your story. I cried and smiled as I read, and thought of Ps.125:"As the mountains surround Jerusalem,so the Lord surrounds his people." SO much hardship, yet so much courage. You must be surrounded by His love.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!