Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Texas Road Trip over Holiday

It was time to see family.  So by air and automobile, Texas was the destination.  From Colorado, where our temperatures were in the 40's (F) to Austin with high humidity in the 95+ (F) degree range, it was a definite change of scenery.
From Austin to College Station, from College Station to Waco, from Waco to Austin again: nothing but troubles driving.  I got lost more than a few times, but I surely went past many little cemeteries along the way.  And the scenic drive to College Station was lovely.  It is all in how you look at it. Listening to Mazie Dobbs and Pardonable Lies made the drive time shorter.

NEVER trust the Bing maps! The Bing map was ten exits off just in my first venture out from the airport to Round Rock, Texas to visit the parents at Parkview Meadows where they recently moved. An hour wasted on I 35 just trying to find the correct roads. Grrr.

I took lots of pictures.  Just a few here..
My brother Chuck and sweet SIL Karen McCarroll

Chuck has his own blog that you can reference at this link.  He calls it I'm Not Drinking O'bama's Koolaid, so if you are also in this mind frame, you might get a kick out of his editorial snippets and cartoons displayed.  He  is the brother with all that artistic talent that I previously referenced on this blog post
a picture of their east Texas evening skyline in College Station, TX
Aunt Mary Mays who lives in Waco, TX

Above is an oil painting of Texas bluebonnets that I remember from my earliest childhood that Aunt Mary has in her newly remodeled apartment where she now lives with her grandson and his family.

In all, I got to see both brothers and SIL, one nephew and his darling young family, my father and his wife, my sister, my aunt and various distant cousins, the youngest of whom was six months and an absolute doll.

Remember the blanket knit for him?  (Ravelry reference is on the bottom of the post)
It was good to visit and catch up on family issues.  It was even better getting home.  You know what I mean.

7 comments:

  1. What a fun roadtrip! Love your sil's hair. What a beautiful skyline to take in every evening. Aunt Mary Mays looks like a spunky character! Cute baby w/his cool toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great trip! Happy you got to share quality time with your family! Sweet little baby:)

    Have a blessed day, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for bringing us along. I keep making baby blankets because I want everyone to know this baby is blessed with love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a great time with your family and that the driving wasn't too tiring. This little baby is just so cute!! And I definitely know what you mean- there's no place like home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy!
    I've been wondering about you-glad you had a nice trip, even with our muggy weather. And the driving can be treacherous! What great pictures of your brother and SIL. I bet you really enjoyed your time with your family. We get to Waco once or twice a year. My brother passed away in 2007 and is buried in a beautiful cemetary in Waco...it's Oakwood Cemetary. We usually visit the cemetary in early July since his birthday was fourth of July. Well, it's good to have you back. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you had a good trip! I hope your father and Pat have settled in. I think it will take one more trip to Waco to get Mother and Fred unpacked! Then we'll tackle cleaning out the house :( Thanks for sharing the photos! I'm sure it's nice to be back in the Colorado temps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea you were close by! I would have driven down to see you (my brother lives in Austin). Glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!