Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sheltering (linked to a Sheltering Tree)

Sheltering wings, a thought and verses...linked to a Sheltering Tree


source (Bing)
"He will cover you with his feathers. Under his wings you will take refuge. His faithfulness is your shield and rampart."  Psalms 91:4 (World English Bible) 
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!" ~ Luke 13:34 NIV
As an older parent whose daughters are now adults, how many times I have thought of these verses.  I have recalled them when I wanted to shelter my children from despair, from hurts, from disappointments and failures, from criticism, injustice or any hateful thing that came their way.  But how many times did I quote this verse to them when they were children, or even now as they are adults?  Not once that I can remember.

And for that I grieve - that I did not take the time to use those teaching opportunities to share God's love with them.  Now I only ask that the Father cover me with His forgiveness, and allow me to go forth in confidence.

The verse was in reference to Jerusalem, and can be read following the break:

37O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem -
1. It is evident that our blessed Lord seriously and earnestly wished the salvation of the Jews.
2. That he did every thing that could be done, consistently with his own perfections, and the liberty of his creatures, to effect this.
3. That his tears over the city, Luke 19:41, sufficiently evince his sincerity.
4. That these persons nevertheless perished. And
5. That the reason was, they would not be gathered together under his protection: therefore wrath, i.e. punishment, came upon them to the uttermost.
From this it is evident that there have been persons whom Christ wished to save, and bled to save, who notwithstanding perished, because they would not come unto him, John 5:40. The metaphor which our Lord uses here is a very beautiful one. When the hen sees a beast of prey coming, she makes a noise to assemble her chickens, that she may cover them with her wings from the danger. The Roman eagle is about to fall upon the Jewish state - nothing can prevent this but their conversion to God through Christ-Jesus cries throughout the land, publishing the Gospel of reconciliation - they would not assemble, and the Roman eagle came and destroyed them. The hen's affection to her brood is so very strong as to become proverbial. The following beautiful Greek epigram, taken from the Anthologia, affords a very fine illustration of this text.

7 comments:

  1. I love seeing your drawings. This one illustrates the verse so well. Do you remember the old hymn, "The Lord's my rock, in Him I hide--Sheltered in the time of storm..." Your post reminded me of those words.

    I'm honored you linked to the first Sharing the Shelter link up. I hope you'll come back next week, too.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Nancy!
    I love the image of us under HIS wing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words Nancy, I would have used them many times had I known them! The picture is beautiful - is it one of yours? I am feeling under His wing today - He provides, heals and nurtures. Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing that same thing, years ago when I had hens. There was proud mother, wings stretched, and babies sheltering under.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think as we grow older we are more in tune to God and His words. I read my bible today and am immediately taken by how He tried to turn them to those words years ago when my kids were small. This is a beautiful post and very thoughtful. I am so happy I came by from Sue! I have to let her know!
    If you have a moment go visit Kim at the Lazy Cowgirl! She is awesome and part of the Pink Saturday group! I am sending everyone her way!
    Hugs to you and may blessings abound in your life1
    Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi nancy

    was searching for a suitable picture that could vividly describe in detail this beautiful comparison of the hen n her chicken to our Lord,s incomparable protection to my 3 yr old son,wen i came across your picture.its awesome.thanks anyway.planning to use it to taech my sunday school kids too.God bless

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!