Friday, October 26, 2012

Today is a Bizarre Day

actually, it is Bazaar Day at our church

My bazaar contribution is a pair of framed floral paintings with information about silk painting provided.


linking to Paint Party Friday
Background
Silk painting originated in China going back to 2600 BC. Long before paper was invented/made, silk was a medium on which to paint. Silk was durable, portable, and readily rolled for travel.

Silk was chosen as an artistic surface not only because of its soft, luxurious feel, but also for its practicality. Silk is light, easy to cut into any desired shape and size and is convenient to carry. Chinese artisans prepared the silk for painting by beating it on a stone slab until the surface became very smooth. After the silk was prepared, the color pigments or ink tones were applied slowly and carefully.

The Process
A resist product similar to glue was applied, dried, and then Jacquard silk paints were used to created these floral pictures. Both paintbrushes and rags were used to blend colors. Paints were allowed to air dry thoroughly. The silk paintings were then rolled in newsprint, coiled into a snake, set in a pressure cooker over hot water and steamed for three hours. After steaming, the paintings were dried and stretched over canvas and stapled to the frame. Backs of the frames were then applied, finished with stock paper.

Come to the Bazaar! Spend your money!  (American Lutheran needs to pay off its building fund.)


24 comments:

  1. Lovely silk paintings Nancy - I particuarly like the first one. Hope your bazaar is a big success. Bettyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. such beautiful work, if I lived closer I would love to come! I have joined to follow you along, so happy to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty! I had to go through several different links on your site to find the PPF part! Silk flowers in beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your beautiful silk paintings and am sure they will be quickly sold. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What nice, stately church that is. And how fun to be a part of and get to peruse the bazaar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful silk paintings. Lovely work for the bazaar. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nancy..wow.. these are totally gorgeous..I love the soft diffusion of colors..really dreamy and magical! Both are such beauties!
    Fabulous and stunning works! Enjoy the bazzar!
    happy PPf!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are beautiful! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your silk paintings with all those tones of warm colour and curvy lines. Good luck with the Bazaar Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your silk paintings are beautiful!
    Hope everything went well with the Bazaar! :)
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I lived close enough, I would love to shop at your Bazaar:) The paintings are gorgeous and I am sure they will go quickly! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure they will be a big hit at the bazaar... lovely colours in them...xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty ... I love the way the colours flow in silk paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really gorgeous and interesting background info. Best of luck at the bazaar Nancy and Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous silk paintings. Thanks for the info on how they are done. I've done Batik and this is similar...altho silk is more delicate and probably harder to take the dye than cotton. Interesting the pressure cooker steaming.

    I bet they will be a quick seller at the Church Bazaar. Thanks for visiting CITexas Gal and for being a follower. I'm enjoying your blog and your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nancy, what an intriguing process!! Well done!! Such beautiful work! Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beauty! painting on silk is a technique I have not tried but the result is beautiful. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Bazaar poster is really great Nancy! I just made one for my mother's Church bazaar coming up in a couple of weeks. Her knitting club will have a booth with knitted items, caps, scarves and dolls.

    Your silk paintings are gorgeous! I've always admired silk paintings, especially with Japanese or Chinese floral design. Good luck at your Bazaar! It's a fun event to go to! Have a wonderful weekend Nancy!♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ha bizarre bazaar. What a pun on words. Hope it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Nancy, these are gorgeous! You really do an amazing job with these silk creations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Nancy! I hope the bazaar was a big success! I'd like to shop a bit! I bet everyone had a great time!
    Your paintings are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck with the bazaar. They're blessed to have your beautiful contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They *steamed* the paintings? I never would have guessed!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!