Thursday, May 8, 2008

Grand Junction Nursing Home - Therapy Dog in Training

Yesterday, Libby the Maltipoo pup and I went for our weekly visit to the nursing home. She is becoming a therapy dog, but must pass her certification in June in order to qualify her to visit in facilities as a certified Therapy Dog. Last week, I talked about Therapy Dog in Training.

What I would like to reflect upon in this blog post is the feelings and resulting life lesson which I experienced yesterday in our visit to the nursing home.

Yes, Libby was cute and engaging. And she was well mannered. But during our visit, the client's attention was mostly focused on her stuffed animal, a small dog resembling that of her pet left at home. That toy stuffed dog (I'll call him Rover) was kindly provided by a family member as an animal substitute because of the patient's confinement in the nursing facility.

Rover, of course, did not bark or move or ask for attention; he was void of any demands. The cloth dog just sat in the lap of the resident while she, the patient, focused all her attention on the inanimate object, crooning to the toy in a loving voice.

I came to understand in those few moments that although I was visiting her with my living, active, energetic dog, the client was directing her attention to Rover, lovingly positioned in her arms. She commented several times that that the dog was looking up at her adoringly. The woman, although only inches from active Libby, was caught up in her memories.

That stuffed animal must have brought to the client recalled times with her previous dogs, how she had showed them in competitions, and the care and love those pets must have been given her in her younger years. The bond between humans and dog is a strong one.

And therein, I learned a lesson. A therapy dog in the "here and now" is valuable in that it can bring much happiness while performing its work. But the working dog can also bring satisfaction to the patient in the evoked positive memories of a similar pet friend in past years.

It was a reminder to me that it is not about Libby, Therapy Dogs, or myself as an aspiring trainer, but that is about the patient with whom we are trying to connect. I believe we did just that yesterday, and I am thankful that Libby and I were allowed that privilege.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to locate a place in Grand Junction where I could get my dog certified to become a service dog. Do you know where I could go for training. (vickisanger@live.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Call Cathy Clark at 245-9078 and she can give you information about the testing. Good luck!

      Delete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!