Thursday, May 1, 2008

Therapy Dog in Training

Libby Sweetpea the Malti-poo graduated from obedience school this week! A picture of Holly, dog obedience instructor, and Libby shows that the pup is quite proud of herself. Can you see it in her expression? Ok, maybe I am being a bit anthropomorphic, but I SWEAR that every dog receiving their graduation certificate was pleased with themselves and loved the applause from the audience!

We continue training at home (I must admit I am a bit lazy about it as far as the amount of time we spend in collar training). AND, we went to a rehabilitation facility yesterday so that Libby could get used to being around people in wheelchairs, as well as a medical environment. It was a “supervised” visit with Cathy, our local person who performs dog evaluations and certifies dogs for the Therapy Dog Program. (Also see my posting on April 7, Crafting Good Behavior regarding therapy dogs.) Cathy and her two dog assistants showed us the ropes for patient visitation.

I made some calling cards for Libby to leave with her visitors when she goes out in the future. It has her picture on it and says in a GIANT FONT: "Hello, My Name is Libby Sweetpea".

Here is Libby and her dog lover new friend she met yesterday at the rehab facility.

Once Libby Sweetpea is certified, then she and I can go out on our own for other visitations. In the meantime, we will visit this same lady (with Cathy and her dogs) next week.

Here is a good link for all kinds of information you might be interested in regarding dogs: Dog Logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!