Monday, August 30, 2010

Ginger Crunch via Crafternoon Tea with GrannyG

A favorite podcast cached on my MP3 player is Crafternoon Tea with GrannyG. GrannyG is from New Zealand and has that unique accent which is so charming.  Just be aware that certain words she says are a bit of a puzzle until you begin to understand her patois. Case in point: she says "REED" and the word means the color red.

She is delightful and full of information.  Listening to her and a friend talk about an old time recipe for ginger crunch interested me enough to print out her recipe and give it a go. 

GrannyG's recipe can be found here.

Conversions: oven to 375 degrees F
Sugar for shortbread: 125 gm butter = 1/2 cup butter
Butter for Icing: 75 gm butter = 1/3 cup butter

Bron Marshall, another New Zealander who cooks and photographs, says of this nostalgic recipe:.
Ginger Crunch is a well loved slice found in most cafes, bakeries and tearooms around New Zealand. There are several versions and as many variations on different recipes, however here is my recipe, which I believe to be fairly true to ‘the original’.
Marshall's recipe can be accessed here.

GrannyG's Ginger Crunch cookies:
ginger crunch cookies
Glitter Graphics

A nice fall treat; they really are easy and tasty!

3 comments:

  1. I`m going to print these recipes. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Nancy, I am not sure why I am missing your blog updates.  I will be checking that out but I wanted to say HI and thanks for this tasty recipe!  Enjoy your evening my friend!  HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured it out!  My sidebar wasn't showing your post updates even though I was following you and you were in my list.  Go figure... I added you again and now you are there :)   They thought they had tricked me, NOT :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!