Thursday, January 13, 2011

Scrabble and Tournament Scrabble and the WPGO

Yesterday was the regular Wednesday Scrabble® :Day with friend Allen at my dining room table.  We have been playing and competing against one another since 2003, generally on a weekly basis.  That is a lot of games.  I have a book containing all of our games including the date played, scores against each other, and number of bingos per game per person per game for over seven years.  Really.

To further gild the lily, I have a spreadsheet on the computer compiling all those statistics.  And you think that is odd?  Scrabble® players are very strange, generally speaking, so it should not be a surprise about our keeping obsessive/complusive track of our games.

Allen showed me a game he had recently played with a different opponent, told me all about his word plays, and then showed me his high score on his score sheet.  This will be considered his pictoral history of his 635 point "high game:"

(Allen)

Of those four games we played yesterday, we each won two.  That is pretty typical (although Allen would say he generally wins most of our games, and reluctantly, I would have to agree).

When one of us has a "bad" Scrabble day and the tile gods have not been fair, this is how you might see the outcome:

photo from Calvin & Hobbs

My next Scrabble tournament will be in February in Phoenix.  It will be the 11th tournament I have attended in Phoenix at the Barbara VanAlen and Larry Rand Directors' tournament.  It will be about their 17th annual Phoenix Winter Tournament to host.

A list of upcoming Scrabble® tournaments can be accessed here.   More information about the new Word Players Game Organization can be accessed here. Scrabble Resources can be found here at the bottom of the listing.

Try competitive word play. You might like it.

2 comments:

  1. MY FAVORITE GAME E-V-E-R! I never go on vacation without the Scrabble game:) AND I play with a friend on my IPhone! You guys are serious about it, the tournament sounds like so much fun! Have a blessed day my friend! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still only play occasionally on my computer, Scrabble online I think the software is called. My rating there is 1088 and my highest game has been 370 on it. I play up against the computer most of the time, but I still have that site address to play against others, even if I'm probably not in your league.

    FYI, you can use HTML to generate a registered trademark symbol instead of having to type (copyright Hasbro). Instead, type &#174 followed by a semicolon. This will look like this: Scrabble®.

    Happy playing!

    John

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!