Sunday, April 10, 2011

Small Places

North Carolina friend Carol sent me an article about a 90 sq. ft. apartment in New York City.  The entire article with more pictures can be found here.


Obviously, there is a place for everything. And at $700/month rent, WOW!  Her back yard is Central Park.

But I am still impressed that one of my Scrabble friends in Calgary, CA has moved into a renovated loft above a 100 year old pub in a toney part of the city.  His apartment is a bit over 300 square feet.  (And cost is not a concern for him, as he is wealthy by most middle American class standards.) 

It is all in the mindset.  Now I need to go get rid of a few clothes.

After posting this, my friend The KnitNurd gave a further link to TumblewoodHouses, tiny houses that pack a wallop.  Wouldn't you LOVE to have one of these?

6 comments:

  1. It's amazing what ppl can do when they have to adapt, yeah? I need to get rid of lots of junk here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, A good story, but I just don't know if I could handle such a small space. All of her stuff rolled up in bins-I would feel wrinkled all of the time. But, her life's rewards probably outweigh her need for space at this time! To live in New York, I probably would have done the same thing at her age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever seen this guy? http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/xs-house/
    Make sure you watch the video too! I just don't think I could do it, and I have a small home by most people's standards (1400 sq ft). I suppose you do adapt to whatever your surroundings or living situations are though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that article, too! Really gave me a new perspective on how much space we really need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I could live in Jay's, but he has some a wee bit bigger that would work. After I sent you that link, Nancy, I saw him on tv and he showed every little detail you would have to adapt to. His bed is in the loft and the ceiling is about five inches from your head. Umm, a little claustrophobic for me!
    I actually have a knitsib that has started converting a Tuff Shed she bought, into a little cottage for herself. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like her loft is a bit bigger. She has a total of about 200 sq. ft. Now that would be really cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!