Thursday, April 7, 2011

Grandmother's Bread (with yeast and fairly sweet)

From the 1960's, this recipe was my favorite food item my grandmother made on a regular basis. I copied it down at the kitchen table while she spoke it. I knew I would want it later.  Boy, am I glad I did because I have used this recipe for these many years after she has been gone.  It is a real comfort food for me.

Favorite parts of the recipe include the words "beat with rolling pin" and the stains on the paper showing the age of the recipe.  And I do remember Mom beating the dough with a rolling pin!

Yesterday was cool and cloudy, and I made three loaves of this bread, although the original recipe said "Makes 4 loaves".
Loaves "under-cover"
All said and done, it was overcooked at 55 minutes (I confess to falling asleep while waiting for the stove buzzer), but still mighty tasty.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, there's nothing like homebaked bread! You have awesome cursive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything about this post touches me, from your nan dictating to your handwriting on the aged sheet and the recipe itself. Simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to make a bread per week. I love homemade bread in the morning.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm going to print it out.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!