Friday, April 4, 2014

Knotty Little Problem

Not really a problem so much as a frustration.  The arm stripes on the Delancey Cardigan do not match with one another. Likely the reason is that I was distracted and did an enormous number of short rows, about 20 too many, on the right sleeve.  But since the left sleeve is coming along nicely, I have canoodled over the problem enough to realize that I can simple cut a thread on the right sleeve cap after the appropriate number of short rows, create a provisional cast on, unravel enough grey to match the left side, and then when it counts/looks more or less right, graft that left sleeve together again. And toss that extra yarn.  Maybe.


For today, a completed pair of Teeny Tiny Mary Janes, courtesy of Knitsofacto.


Photobucket
Linking with Fiber Arts Friday.


Next week the husband will make bread (his blog is here and his bread recipes are here and here).  He has a bread with pumpkin added in that he wrote about here.  Gene has a great recipe for pita bread here.  He has Ciabatta Bread written out also!  His recipes (truly his own) are a blog post in themselves, but go take a look at his Grand Life Food & Cooking.


I'll stir up a crock pot of taco soup for our Lutheran Church and its weekly Lenten soup lunches after noon services and we will contribute bread and soup for the communicants.

The taco soup I like not only has the traditional tomatoes, beef, hominy, several beans, etc. but also adds some Ranch Dressing (dry) and lots of spices.  Maybe too spicy for the older crowd?   There are usually about 30 people who stay for lunch after the noon service, mostly retired codgers like ourselves.  (Last week we did have a few kids and parents there as well, probably because is was Spring Break for the school district.)

The wind has been blowing mightily and the leaves are everywhere.  Here is one last look at our back area from the porch.  I'll try my hand at painting a picture of the bare tree trunks with light and shadows.


Looking forward to next week's art show over the weekend at
George Callison will be the main judge.

What is on your agenda?

11 comments:

  1. Love the strips on the cardigan, good luck with your fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cardigan looks amazing Nancy! I can't see that the stripes are out either but of course once you've noticed yourself, you'll always notice, A nuisance, that! Going to pop over and check out the bread recipes - I like the sound of the pumpkin one very much. By the way I made the buttermilk cake you recommended - it was fabulous! As was the "sour milk jam" - absolutely yummy although I feel I've got to find a better name than the NY original! Happy knitting! E x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors for your sweater!! Anything orange!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your latest knit looks so pretty Nancy and I wouldn't know if it was anything less than perfect ... you are so experienced I am sure it's going to work out fine in the end. Hubby has a blog?! must take a visit. I still didn't get round to making that cornbread, but it isn't forgotten - a time will come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how your cardigan is knitting up. I'm not sure if I'd be brave enough to attempt what you're planning but it sounds like a great idea. I'm just scared of cutting yarn and finding the whole thing spontaneously unravelling. Probably not that likely lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cardigan looks amazing, hope your rescue plan works out, it sounds ingenious. All that talk of bread makes me hungry, I simply have to check them out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your knitting is always amazing, Nancy!
    Soups and yummy bread! Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That orange and grey are a striking pair. How cool your hubb makes all this homemade bread! I so love a good, crusty bread. It'll be awhile before I can eat that again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh I hope you fix your stripe problem. I probably wouldn't have noticed mine not working until the end so at least you are addressing it now. That bread looks delicious. It snowed here last night. Soup and bread sounds good for today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sweater is awesome... good luck with your repairs. :-)

    I'm a huge fan of good bread, so heading directly to your Hubby's page now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I can't imagine MAKING a sweater and it even having TWO sleeves:) WITH stripes? OH NO! I am sure you will figure it out and make it a beautiful finished product! Taco soup sounds yummy! It is a little cooler today because rain is coming in. Soup might be on my menu for dinner! Enjoy your day dear friend, BIG HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!