Monday, July 28, 2014

Gardening Question

Having searched the resources available, yet not having talked to a REAL gardener, I can't find an answer to my question.

Question: after sixteen years, why are the blossoms on these old chrysanthemums so small?

wee mum flowers are on lower right of picture

My stylist this morning said that the roots after all these years probably have worn out.  The Walmart flower seller guy said that genetically, maybe the flowers are just not supposed to bloom after a certain undefined number of years.  So with those expert witnesses to testify on my behalf, the mums will be dug up, discarded, and and replanted with fresh pots of mums.  

Sadly, I must wait at least two weeks until shipments of new mums arrive at the local stores.  Home Depot is my usual supplier.

The red mums above seem to be doing well and are the usual sizes.

Cosmos with flower garland seem happy.

Columbines on second flowering of the season after roots have been shaded with bark and flagstone rock. Some columbines have been moved to different locations, but have not overcome the shock of their rude upheavals, so the pictures would not be pretty if they were shown.  Trust me, those flowers and the daisies that were also dug up and moved are in a sad state of trying to survive in their new surroundings

On a happier note, new hostas have found their places this morning in the wildflower garden, although they really should be banned from living with the wildflowers.  Let's just say the wildflower garden is becoming more civilized with the hostas growing alongside the columbines and penstemon and daisies.

Lots of rain has kept us indoors a bit more the last few days, so I've caught up on Last Tango in Halifax (my new favorite PBS series), Endeavour (another PBS series) and reruns of Midsomer Murders.  John Nettles of Midsomer fame is my new best male friend.  Cannot forget Poirot, either.



Wishing you a big, beautiful bowl of ruby red cherries.  Hope your July ends on a high note!

And if you know why those flowering mums have become so small, please leave me a comment.

6 comments:

  1. Last Tango has to be some of the best Television ever. We enjoyed both series and I believe the BBC is currently making series 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, bummer about the mums. I need to look them up because I don't remember what they look like. I did learn last month about how a plant could go in shock if moved to another place. My aunt and uncle told me about that as I had thought my plants could stay at their place while we were on San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I knew more about mums-I was lucky to get them to come up a second year-this year they have decided not to cooperate. They have totally disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the answer to that question! Share when you find out! I LOVE hostas! I have them scattered around my property:) Enjoy your day dear Nancy, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps they just need a feed, Nancy. The leaves certainly look healthy enough.If you liked Midsomer Murders, I think you would like a younger John Nettles in 'Bergerac', set on the Channel Island of Jersey. Perhaps you could get it on DVD? I loved 'Last Tango' too - Derek Jacobi was as far removed from his role in 'I, Claudius' as you could possibly get!Hope your new 'mums' consignment doesn't disappoint. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm. I think my mums die every year. I only remember them coming back once.
    Thank you for the viewing recommendations, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!