Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Fair Isle Knit Socks and More

Phew.  Those fair isle socks (only two yarn colors per row, knit intermittently while holding the opposing color in the back of the knitting) are complete.


What with all the self striping sock yarns now available, I doubt if anyone other than an experienced knitter could tell that the technique used in whipping up these socks was indeed "fair isle" knitting.

Alas, one of the women from the Shetland Fair Isle Knitting Guild (link here for information and pictures) (link here for more pictures) (and also here for a knitting workshop blog post) would be able to differentiate and critique this knitting.  They could right away spot my errors.


But I continue working on the technique and do have a bit of prior fair isle knitting under my belt:

(Our Mercy)
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing kit by Sandra Manson and Kate Davies, using all nine shades of 2 ply Shetland Supreme wool yarns from various types of sheep on Shetland) .. kit available here

Now I have the bright idea of trying to create a portion of this picture in fair isle knitting, along with reference help from the Book of Fair Isle Knitting by Alice Starmore. 


Giovanni Battista di Jacopo (Italian Mannerist painter, 1494–1540), known as Rosso Fiorentino (meaning the Red Florentine in Italian) Angel with Lute Madonna dello Spedalingo

If I can graph this out correctly ensuring the shading on the cherub, it should be a year long knitting project taking a lot of patience and many shades of yarn. Pinterest has some graphing aides, along with Starmore's book.  There are very few Renaissance needlepoint kits with angels, and none that I could unearth on the internet linking angels, Renaissance and knitting.  If you know of any such kits, including needlepoint, please leave me a comment as it would save lots of time if I could find a kit readily available.

Linking with Ginny's Yarn Along this Wednesday.

15 comments:

  1. Not finding any errors at all. Only beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW these socks are amazing! And I can't help but laugh at your adorable dog's face in the sweater picture ;) My dog would move out if I put him in a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you! The socks are incredible! Way to go, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great socks!!!! no errors there that i can see!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dog looks great in his new sweater! I've seen that pattern before on Ravelry. It looks like a lot of fun to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hat and socks are fantastic, great colours and patterns on both! Love the little dog coat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, bright colors! LOVE those socks! I can't wait to watch as you create that Cherub! Sending HUGS across the miles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those socks! Great mix of colours you've used. I'm itching to do some more fair isle knitting, it's just tricky finding the time and brain power to do it without tying myself up in a knot :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your socks are so fun. Your fair isle work is really fantastic. I hope to learn one day. The painting yarn project sounds so intriguing. Creative and inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think these projects are grand. Do you follow supertinks of Master of a Thousand Things on Ravelry? I think she uses a website to help her graph out her designs. Ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work! One of the things I love about knitting and quilting is that there are so many ways to challenge ourselves, and with each challenge we create more beauty in the world. Can't wait to see what you do next!

    frances

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nancy, these are seriously impressive! Wow!

    Merry Christmas!x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fair isle socks are truly works of art. They must have taken hours and hours. They're beautiful. Have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. just blogwalking.. Nice post and have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!