Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Cottonwoods Are Thirsty

Old Trees (NM)
Old trees
Cottonwood shade.
Leaves fall in summer time
We are alarmed to see this change
Why now?

They thirst
Nature's moisture
From mountain snow is less.
Last year they needed supplements
To live.

Times past
They thrived with creeks
Sending mesa snow melt
Supplying water from nearby.
Not now.

(Cinquain poetic form described here)

(our cottonwood trees last spring)

In Colorado, last summer we were in extreme drought:


Our cottonwood trees in the back yard required much more water than in previous years.  The news for the summer of 2015 may be better.  More here.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful trees and poem! Hope they get more water this year! Sending HUGS your way this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy! We have had a very wet winter and snow in the mountains. Don`t know if it`s enough to catch up. The aquifers that suppy our wells are in good shape. The Joshua`s and cottonwoods are struggling with the drought. I take good care of a fir my husband and I planted years ago. It`s special and I sure do baby it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are very thirsty here in California. Today we're getting whipped with howling winds and different intensities of rain. It's good for is. I just don't like it how my honey has to drive 50 mi home in it. Waiting for him...
    On a good note, I Googled cottonwoods. They have a significant place in history - offered shade to pioneers while it's leaves served as food for their horses.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!