Thursday, March 26, 2015

Fabric Bowls and Laundry Line

As usual, when Elizabeth posted her pretty fabrics bowls here on Washing-Line Tales, I had to copy her and make a fabric bowl also.  Monkey see=monkey do.

I had a bit of trouble envisioning how to start off the center part, but Link #6 below from Crafty Stylish gives a good picture of the beginning of the vortex of covering the laundry line.

Using up odd bits of fabric from the closet and discarding the rest, it was a good way to not only have fun seaming up a quick bowl, but it helped in de-cluttering pieces of fabric previously used in Liturgical Art projects.


These links will give you all you need to know about how to make a fabric bowl if it does not come to you intuitively. Links will also lead you to some very pretty bowls made by other bloggers.

1 here (Mrs. Tittlemouse)
2 here (Radiant Home Studio)
3 here (Pretty Prudent)
4 here  (This Year's Dozen) explains continuous strips and a button decoration idea
5 here  (Cynthiaf) her dog sports one of her bowls on his head, sweet!
6 here for Crafty Stylish
7 here for Craftsy coils at the end
here  Wikihow shows the zig-zag stitch in detail


Besides reading and learning from the links above, my further suggestions include the following:



  • Cutting the strips of fabric about 1.25 inches wide on the bias makes twisting the fabric around the laundry line much easier and cleaner looking



  • Use a cording foot; my trust old Pfaff machine came with one in its box of attachments



  • use coordinating fabrics (I did not, so the resulting bowl looks like it was made out of Depression era materials)



  • Take your time and enjoy the process!  It took me about two hours total to make a bowl out of half a package of $5 cotton laundry line purchased from True Value Hardware



  • Find a decorative piece of jewelry or crochet a flower to cover the ending tale of the bowl


  • Now go out and do as I say, not as I do!

    6 comments:

    1. Cool! Thank you for the "how to's" Nancy! 😊

      ReplyDelete
    2. Well done you Nancy! Your bowl looks great and I love the brooch to finish off the end of the coil. I'm going to see if my sewing machine has a cording foot! And yes, you're right cutting the strips on the bias gives a cleaner look. I tried this on my second effort and it looks a bit neater. Acquired some more sash cord yesterday and am itching to try a third big one! Unfortunately there's rather a lot of work this week! E x

      ReplyDelete
    3. That is a handy result there. What a great way to have color around and reuse scraps.

      ReplyDelete
    4. That's a. Pretty use of old fabric. I love your new header.

      ReplyDelete
    5. My Niece purchased a fabric bowl on-line for my Birthday several years ago! I loved it then and still do! Beautiful creation dear Nancy, HUGS!

      ReplyDelete
    6. What a great idea! I'm always buying rope because I like how it looks-never would have thought of covering it with fabric to make a bowl....

      ReplyDelete

    Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!