Thursday, August 25, 2016

Spiders and Shorter Days

Note: Spiders are not attractive to potential house buyers.  Don't get caught with them in the tub.  Here is one I found this morning, trying to ward off looky lookers.  (Six walk-throughs with realtors, with one offer on the house thus far.)
Tomatoes are ripening on the vine, neighbors have been too kind with their squash, and days are getting shorter with kiddos out early in the mornings making their way to school.


Yesterday proved an interesting day with the oncologist in that I learned I qualify for a clinical trial.  At first my altruistic thoughts were quite positive, until I read through the 23 pages of the abstract and learned I would have to make at least fifteen overnight visits to Denver, in winter months, over the continental divide, and at my own expense.  So now the inclination is to let some other "lucky" lady take my place in the trial.  In this double blind study, I had a 33.3 percent chance of receiving the placebo instead of targeted radiation, and even though it would be do-able, it would also be very taxing.  I am continuing on with the Ibrance and letrozole, targeted therapies to slow down tumor growth.  Dr. L offered steroids and analgesics for back and hip aches, but I am holding off for now and trying other avenues for pain relief. There will be time later to bring in the big guns to control pain.  And actually, the pain, dare we say discomfort, is mostly under control, in case you were to worry.

On the Julie front: she is doing pretty well, better than I would have imagined a year ago.  Her new social avenue is playing a card game, Phase 10, with one of her and my best friends at the manor, Ms. Louise.  Louise just passed her 91st birthday last week with much hoopla.  Julie gave her sweet presents and flowers, and Louise had two birthday lunches that she very much enjoyed.  These days, all three of us are playing Phase 10 together in the mornings after Julie gets to the garden room around half past ten. This is sweet Louise with Julie.



11 comments:

  1. so good to hear from you! That is such a sweet picture! Totally understandable to weigh the pros/cons for the clinical trial! We are praying for you! The prayer booklet is in the mail. I am going to light a new candle for you by my icons now! God bless and keep you! You are a very kind support via social media and I pray that you will have good support and kindness from many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Nancy. That's a lot of reading and weighing out pros and cons. Driving over the mountains so often especially when you might be a placebo recipient sounds well . . . not so good.
    I'm glad your house has an offer. What kind of a home will you look for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very diligent to read all of that scientific jargon. You will decide what is best for you. Let it marinate a bit. That's a cute pic of Julie and her friend playing that card game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What difficult decisions you have to face. I too would like to know what kind of new home you will look for and which location. I am glad you have pain under control and you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your dilemma, hope you will find peace and healing with the meds you are taking! Sweet picture of Julie and her friend:) NO to the spiders, hope you sell the house! Have a blessed day dear Nancy, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update! I know selling the house is hard - logistically and emotionally. Moving is always difficult even if there weren't other weighty issues. May it go well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My best wishes to you Nancy. I did not know you are ill. I hope you house sells. Loved the picture of your daughter and those super garden pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nancy. I haven't been around in a while, now. My husband had been very ill for a while, and passed away in January. I'm trying to work my way back to things I enjoy, and did recently retire from work. I am so sorry for your illness, and selling your beautiful home. I hope all goes well, and you can get relief for your pain. I enjoyed your photos of spider, tomatoes, and Julie. Sending hugs and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you're doing what you can to make the best decisions for you and yours. I'm going to have to check out Phase 10 now. Love a good card game. My son would pee his pants if he saw that spider. All the best to you Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY for you, going on vacation/holiday. So glad Julie has a card partner. The spider made me chuckle...I'm one of those who could find a dead squirrel in the house and see beyond the body. When we bought Thistle Cove Farm, hay was being stored inside, I had to shovel snow from inside the house to the outside and every morning I would walk through the house banging a wooden spoon against a pot to drive out the wildlife who took overnight shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to read that you are poorly Nancy. The Clinical Trials sound exhausting with the long journeys especially as you are in pain. Take care now. Marion x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!