Monday, July 11, 2011

Best Gazpacho Recipe and Apricot Cooking

Ina Garten showed off her best gazpacho recipe on Food Network.  So I made it.  Don't know about being the "best", but it was good, easy, and was said to take only 20 minutes to make.   I don't know about the 20 minute time frame, but the recipe was definitely worth whipping up again.  In process:
And apricots are finally in season.  We bought five pounds at a local farmers' market and dehydrated 3 pounds. After 12 hours in the drying unit, they still are not ready to bag.  But they are sweet and delicious!

Two pounds of the apricots were used immediately for an apricot cobbler with rolled dumplings.
OLD FASHIONED COBBLER
8 or 9 peaches or apricots, peeled and sliced
1/2 c. water
1 1/2 c. sugar2 tbsp. self-rising flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 c. butter, melted

Cook fruit in water until tender. Mix flour, salt and sugar. Add to peaches. Mix. Add melted butter.

PASTRY FOR COBBLER
1 cup self-rising flour
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. shortening
4 tbsp. sweet milk, or enough to make a stiff dough

Blend flour, salt, and shortening to coarse meal texture. Add milk. Roll on floured surface. Pour half of fruit in 9x13 inch pan. Cut some dumplings and push dumplings down into the peach juice. Pour remaining peaches in and top with more cut pastry. Bake in a 350 degree oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown. I like to sprinkle a little sugar on top before baking. This should be juicy cobbler.


Several days ago, I got out the tried and true Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook and made some vanilla ice cream, so home made ice cream was topping for the cobbler.  It was the first time I had gotten the electric ice cream freezer from its shelf in the garage, and it was not even "cranky" after having been neglected for a number of summers.

The ice cream recipe called for only four ingredients - no infusion of vanilla bean, etc.- just 2 Tbsp of vanilla extract, and no eggs.  Some things don't have to be difficult to be tasty.

And last, apricot freezer jam was a hit.  We only made five cups, but that will be enough for a while.  A previous post about freezer jam can be found here
.  Ingredients:

3 and 1/3 cup pureed apricots
1 and 1/3 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. freezer pectin

Stir sugar and pectin together.  Add apricots and stir for 2 minutes.  Let it stand for 30 minutes and then ladle into plastic containers and freeze.  Excellent!

3 comments:

  1. Yummy looking recipes but a little early for both:) Thanks for sharing! Have a blessed day my friend! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy
    Oh yummmmy pictures! That sounds like a great recipe for cobbler and I've never had apricot cobbler before but it looks so delicious.

    Good for you for drying fruit like that too. I sometimes wish I had one of those so I could try to dehydrate some foods also. Ryan uses his to make venison jerky and beef jerky and it turns out so delicious!

    I have made gaspacho one time and I can't recall where the recipe came from but it really was yummy. Good that you tried it so you could evaluate what you thought about it too. Its great on a hot day..

    You have made me quite hungry.
    have a great day
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some Ina Garten. She's never led me astray.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!