Friday, October 4, 2013

Embroidery and Silk Ribbon Embroidery

Back in the day, embroidery was used as a past time by ladies with leisure.  It was a beautiful way to gussy up clothing or even, shall we say, a tea towel?

c. 1900 source
 
Embroidery today is definitely not your grandmother's.  Such great pieces I found on Pinterest.

 





source

source from previous post


Silk Ribbon Embroidery and Silk Ribbon: 
 
 

by Natalie
Machine Embroidery:
 
 by Dottie

 
 
 
 
In Mexico, this holiday takes place on the first and second of November.   People take two days out of the year in order to pay their respect to their dead family members and friends.  During this celebration, skulls and altars are made, food is placed on graves, and families and friends celebrate the lives of departed children and adults. I really hope that you'll create something this week as a response to El Dia de los Muertos.  Whether it's the holiday itself, the Halloween-like feel of the skeletons, or the bright colors that inspire you, I'm looking forward to seeing your creations.   

Inspiration Avenue Challenge Link
 
Linking with Fiber Art Friday
Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Inspirational embroidery Nancy! I love the little house sampler best I think! But those silk ribbon flowers are gorgeous too especially the sweet peas. So glad you liked my slipper post - the pattern is very straightforward and easy to adapt to your own size and chosen yarn / hook I found.. E x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These examples are great. I found the first real interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful work. I enjoy embroidery. I've only done the ribbon roses once but would love to do something else with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy! I had seen that pretty two story house on Pinterest. I love it! I am SO rusty when it comes to embroidery. Are you busy doing some stitching?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are gorgeous! I love how the texture of embroidery can change a whole project. I've actually been attempting to sneak some into my weaving. Thanks for sharing these inspiring projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so much beauty:) Have a blessed day dear Nancy, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little house is very sweet! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I love embroidered clothing but aside from that was not a fanof enbroidery but now ai just might be?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Nancy. I`ve not attempted silk ribbon embroidery. The Day Of The Dead embroidery is beautiful. All your examples are inspiring. Hope you are having a wonderful Fall season. Have you had a snowfall yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nancy..cool post a hobby I like to do too..
    the picture on my post may be an old one but this is just a copy ..hugs.patty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your embroidery is so beautiful. I am absolutely helpless with a needle (well, I can sew a button on), so I have deep admiration for anybody who can do wonders with it like you do.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!