Saturday, May 7, 2011

Coffee: Flavored and Otherwise

When is the best time for a cup of coffee?  Your mood dictates the answer, but here is a thought from Bon Appetite Magazine:
The Daily Mail reports that Professor Spence and a team of experts nailed down a formula that combines great flavor (F), the perfect environment (E), the coffee container (P), the company you drink it with (C), and the time of day (T). These factors add up to the most enjoyable coffee moment (M). In other words:

M = 0.5 x F + (0.5 x E + 0.3 x P + 0.15 x C + 0.05 x T)

M = the perfect coffee moment

The study showed that the best time to have coffee is actually at 11am in a well-lighted room or outdoors in the sun with friends listening to Italian opera or any singer with a low raspy voice. (According to the research, a person's palate is most sensitive at 11am.)

11:00 AM you say?  How about the moment you awake? 

After debating for a week over the issue of whether or not to buy a one cup coffee maker, I took the plunge and ordered a Black and Decker beauty for $17 (no shipping 'cause we are Prime members) along with a bit of flavored coffee just for moi, as the husband wants no part of fu-fu java.

It should be at the doorstep Monday, along with some flavored coffees.

Carin, video podcaster at Round the Twist, is always talking about her San Marco coffee as she chats about her crafting projects, her pup, mentions her job as a night nurse, and just generally entertains with her dog begging for pats in the background.  She got me thinking that I really need my own coffee maker for just that one perfect cup of flavored coffee.  Whenever I want it!

4 comments:

  1. My Daughter has a one-cupper, not us... we drink a whole pot and AS SOON AS we get up is the time we drink it:)

    Enjoy your weekend dear Nancy, Happy Mother's Day! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`m getting a one cup too. I`m sure you`ll let us know how great your new coffee maker is. Your header is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, I love your equation for the best time for coffee. I think my best time is between 5:00pm and 5:30 pm when I get home from work. My husband always has it ready to pop on. We did buy a Hamilton Beach coffee maker a couple of weeks ago that is really neat. There is no carafe, it makes up to 6 cups and dispenses 1 cup at a time. I really am enjoying it. And I like your clock with the coffee cup in the center-fun! Have a great Mother's Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting tidbit about coffee! I know a lot of coffee fanatics. Unfortunately I can't drink nor even have Opera Cake whose layers are all soaked in coffee syrup. My stomach can't take it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!