Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Herbs of Provence

A friend sent my husband Herbs de Provence for Christmas.  It was a thoughtful gift that is a daily use as chicken dishes, eggs, and fish all benefit from a dash of this lovely mixture.  The crock contains finely ground thyme, rosemary, basil, savory and marjoram, and a small hit of lavender in the concoction. (Thank you, Dorothay!)
Coq au vin and this recipe with a whole chicken perched atop a beer can is one of the husband's specialties (he sometimes uses Herbs of Provence inside the chicken):

Currently in my little corner of the world we are growing:
  • mint (LOADS of it)
  • rosemary
  • chives
  • tarragon (the tag says "Texas Tarragon")
  • parsley
  • oregano
  • sage
  • cilantro
  • garlic
  • basil (hopefully the tiny seeds will provide the base for many containers of pesto)
Every time I try to grow thyme, it seems to fade in the heat.  Guess it needs a different spot.

Garden stakes with herb names imprinted on the front have faded over the years, so this is what I purchased from Amazon:
The ceramic labels have not yet arrived, so I went ahead over last weekend and planted some herbs with the old garden markers stuck in the soil.

Here are some recylcled window herb garden containers that perked up with Spray Paint refashioned by Centsational Girl:

Good idea, as I have several containers that could use a good slathering of paint to give them fresh faces.

5 comments:

  1. this post is right up my street! Since buying (and moving into) our new home, all my excess everything has turned towards house & garden!

    Wish I could tell you something useful about growing thyme, unfortunately I'm not a gardener :( but my, those ceramic labels are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY chicken, great gift of Herbs of Provence! Love fresh herbs:) Have a blessed day, love the little signs! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how he cooked that chicken. Do you have a recipe link for that? Looks super duper easy.
    I'm so jealous you can grow herbs in your garden. What a lovely thing to do and use. Awesome idea on how to repaint containers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I planted herbs today! My little herb garden has rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, chives, sage, lemon grass, lemon balm, cilantro and dill. I have chocolate mint, peppermint and spearmint going great guns. I've got to find out how to dry all these herbs now.

    Hugs XX
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy...*hugs*
    ohhhhh I am so envious of all those wonderful herbs you've been able to grow already!! I can't wait until we can do some planting. We have gotten so into cooking with fresh herbs..and what about that tarragon I've just discovered it! The pots look so lovely too she's done a wonderful job...hmmmm...enjoy...
    Judi

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!