Saturday, May 21, 2011

Chemo Cap to Crochet

Ironically, sadly, three chemo hats are still in my cedar chest that my mother used during her cancer treatment in 1999, and that I saved because they reminded me of her.  She was not a complainer, and always grateful for whatever the day held.  I do try to emulate that quality, though sometimes it is a challenge.

This is my mom and me in 2000 just before she died, wearing one of her favorite hats covering her little bald head:

Then, lo and behold, wouldn't you know that I then had the "opportunity" to use those same hats, and especially the one shown above on Mom, when I went through chemo.  Yup, it is so.

And now my daughter will be the recipient of these useful little garments to keep her head warm after she loses her hair due to chemotherapy.  Three generations of women with cancer: bing, bing, bing.

Never fear, she won't have to just use those old hats (even thought they are quite attractive and still functional).  I am making her a couple more with crochet and knitting needles.

Here is a pattern I came across this morning: free, free, free and easy, Bernat offers this chemo hat as a download with a (also free) registration to their website:
As a quick update on Julie, she has been diagnosed with Stage III B breast cancer, and will have her chemo port placed on May 23.  They are trying to shrink her tumors prior to a mastectomy.

The chemo cotton hat will be started today as I listen to Frank Delaney's Ireland on audiobook.  If you are on Ravelry, there is an audiobook group and a podcast group that you might check out; this group has excellent suggestions on good listens.  I'm currently listening to several books on tape, depending on moods and inclinations.

Now I'm off to Michael's as soon as they open to buy three balls of cotton yarn so I can snuggle down for a good session with Ireland and my hooks and needles.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. That is a wonderful picture of you and your mom. Thanks for the Bernat link and I will pray every day for your daughter`s healing and strength for your family. I know HE will bless you richly.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful picture of you & your mother! I certainly admire your strength! Julie is in my thoughts so often & I pray for your family all the time.
    xoxo Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahalo for sharing such personal stories. These chemo hats show what a big loving heart you have for the women in your life. I'll keep your daughter in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely of you to make these hats for Julie. You are all in my thoughts x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nancy, THAT picture of you and your Mother made me cry! I miss both of my Parents so much! My Mama had a stroke and passed away after a great fight! She was in a wheelchair the last couple of years of her life! When I dream about her, I am laying in her lap... just like you were laying in your Mother's! Sweet hats and I know your Daughter will appreciate the use of your Mother's and the new ones created BY YOU:)

    Have a blessed weekend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, I can't imagine having the strength you have, and fighting to endure the trials dealt to you. And, then, you are also blessed with the gift of bravely sharing these trials.

    What a beautiful photo and I know your daughter is proud to have you by her side as her mother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a beautiful picture of you and your mother. I hate cancer. I had my own fight with it. I can only imagine, as a mother myself, how difficult it must be for you to watch your child battle this disease. I'm sure your daughter will appreciate the hats you are making her. Keeping you both in my prayers.

    _Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nancy *hugs*
    That IS a lovely picture of you and your mom.
    You are very strong and the strength will go to your daughter...you are so in my thoughts.
    I wish for this to be a very good day for you.
    *hugs*
    Judi

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!