Monday, June 20, 2011

Summer Squash and Sausage Casserole

With tomatoes, squash and onions all now available, they are the basis of my favorite summer casserole.  This recipe makes plenty, is easily reheated in the microwave, and is definitely in the new triangle of foods that are good for you.  It also has lots of cheesy goodness.


Ingredients: as many and as much as you like of....
  1. tomatoes in thick slices
  2. yellow and green squashes, any varieties are fine, cut in thick slices
  3. onions, yellow or white, cut in pieces
  4. a pound of Italian sausage, browned in a skillet with the grease discarded
  5. cheese, yellow and grated
Preparation consists of layering all the vegetables, browned sausage and grated cheese a couple of times with lots of pepper, a bit of salt, and maybe some spices you like.  Cover and cook in a 350 degree oven for an hour or until the vegetables are no longer crunchy.


So there you have a complete meal if you add just a slice of bread, a beverage, and a dessert if you are feeling indulgent.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that sounds DE-licious! I have everything but the sausage... gotta try it!

    Have a blessed day and thanks for the recipe! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good; can't beat sausage with squash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I love summer squash and zucchini! I usually sauté the squash with onion and salt and pepper in olive oil and butter. This recipes sounds soooo good. Going to make it this weekend. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really sounds good, and easy. And I love squash tender, not crunchy, so it's right up my alley. Love your old retro picture. Thanks for the recipe Nancy-I've been hungry for squash!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!