Saturday, July 2, 2011

July Pictures - Summer Poetry


"That beautiful season the Summer!
Filled was the air with a dreamy and magical light;
And the landscape
Lay as if new created in all the freshness of childhood."
-  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


"And pomp, and feast, and revelry,
With mask, and antique pageantry,
Such sights as youthful poets dream
On summer eves by haunted stream."
-  John Milton, L'Allegro, 1631

"The summer morn is bright and fresh, the birds are darting by
As if they loved to breast the breeze that sweeps the cool clear sky."
-  William C. Bryant


"I know I am but summer to your heart,
And not the full four seasons of the year;
And you must welcome from another part
Such noble moods as are not mine, my dear.
No gracious weight of golden fruits to sell
Have I, nor any wise and wintry thing;
And I have loved you all too long and well
To carry still the high sweet breast of Spring.
Wherefore I say: O love, as summer goes,
I must be gone, steal forth with silent drums,
That you may hail anew the bird and rose
When I come back to you, as summer comes.
Else will you seek, at some not distant time,
Even your summer in another clime."

-  Edna St. Vincent Millay, I Know I am But Summer to Your Heart

7 comments:

  1. That was nice. I`ve always liked Longfellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your photos, big geranium plants. The rabbit is a great greeter at your gate. And the poems really set the tone. So relaxing. The site almost makes me forget about the sultry heat and mosquitoes! Good Morning Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is so lush. Awesome work there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really captured the light. Gardens and quotations go so well together. I will come back to this post again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures AND the Poetry! Have a blessed day dear Nancy, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures and the poetry. Miss you babe! I can't wait to see you in Oct!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nancy *hugs*
    Beautiful poetry...and beautiful pictures.
    Is that your garden? It is so lush and mystical...the little rabbit peering around the fence. It is just beautiful.
    Happy 4th of July...have a lovely day.
    Judi

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!