Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Beanie for Alonzo & Zucchini Cake

Babies need hats.  Purl Bee has a cute pattern for a heirloom hat that made up in just a day or two.


Originally, the thought was to make a pair of booties, but after making the first one and realizing it looked too large, I checked the pattern and saw I had cast on too many stitches.  The second one looked lots better, meaning I have to rip out that first stay on bootie and start all over.  Can I get it done in time for Sunday when the hand off is to occur?


And, in the meantime, this is on the needles: Norwegian Shawl or Scarf.

For your culinary pleasure, I was directed toward a  recipe that is excellent; a fairly heavy zucchini cake with lots of cream cheese frosting with zested orange.  Have a look here.  My notes here.

Our neighbor keeps supplying us with his zucchini, and we keep trying new things with them.  Not a single zucchini has been harmed or wasted in the process of experimentation.  We took over a portion of this cake to them as a "thank you", and they upped us by bringing over zucchini brownies.  Not a bad deal.

Leaving you with this bumblebee on a cosmos.  They are busy little things.

6 comments:

  1. how lovely! you introduce me to such great patterns, thank you! lovely cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that hat! It's on my list too. How innovative to bake cakes with courgettes (what we call zucchini). I have loads here too so will try that recipe out this weekend.Lovely post,Nancy and always lovely to 'see' you too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that cake looks yummy! I will have a slice while I wear that cute hat:) Have a blessed day dear Nancy, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beanie and the slippers look so cozy, Nancy! The cake? Can I have some? You're a good homemaker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been a busy bee too, I think! lovely snippets that I've been catching up with today. The cake looks gorgeous - I like moist cakes like these and add a smidgeon of cream cheese frosting and you've got my vote! Hope you are having a good week, Nancy. Sending you a hug E x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww. What a cute hat! That zucchini cake looks good. I haven't tried a zucchini sweet yet.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!